We replaced the shafts BTW..

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: True Grit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Warranty on the drive is now 2 years.
The only other time we have seen accellerated wear like that is in very gritty water. A guy toured the Mississippi via Hobie Mirage Kayak. His drive wore down in the stainless parts!
Mine did that too, but I attributed that quick wear to a dealer overtightening the chains to remedy the wear problem. Grit? That might explain some of my past problems.

I kayak in the bottom of another large river basin, much like that of the Mississippi where the water is always turbid. 40 miles further to the east of here, the waters start to clear up. Do you think gritty water can speed up the wear of parts significantly?

Because Hobie strengthened the components and implemented a wide range of other Mirage enhancements and redesigns, I decided to do my part in helping the sluggish economy by getting a 2009 Outback for Christmas. :D Matt, let me know if you want me to do any beta testing of components in this gritty environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do you think gritty water can speed up the wear of parts significantly?

I think so. Its like a constant fine sanding going on. Imagine your engine oil wearing your engine when not changed.

Lets see what happens to your new parts in these conditions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Same thing happened to my shafts on a Classic, and two Sports. As an old Cape Dory sailboat owner, it was no surprise. I believe it's called "deep crevice corrosion" in Stainless Steel. We had this problem on the stainless bolts that went through our decks, where a little moisture stays trapped after washing the boat. Bronze can live submerged forever, Stainless Steel absolutely fails when kept wet for long periods.

One of the really weird situations occurs when you clean the boat/part with chlorinated water (typical public water supply) and wind up with salt and chlorine trapped against the stainless steel.

All steel, of any alloy, is dendritic crystal. That means it's nothing but tangled shards of iron crystals, with gaps and cracks permeating the material. (NOTE: A good example of dendritic structure is Ivy on a wall. The vines are interwoven, but not truly bonded....that's exactly how ALL iron alloy exists when it's "solid".) That grainy structure you see, when you break an iron/steel part, is the zillions of crystals.

We humans use iron (and/or steel alloy) in it's "uncommon form", which is frozen. It's really a liquid when the temperature is sufficient, and we screw it up by freezing it "solid" to make stuff! (It's freezing point is REAL HOT!!)

Unfortunately, as it "freezes" it does so unevenly and won't turn into a perfect, solid, non-permeable piece of crystal.

If you're not bored yet, I'll tell you this is the reason why old cast iron engine blocks won't hold paint. The oil has finally leaked between all the crystals and you CANNOT get it out. Of course, that's what makes iron cylinders wonderful for engines...once they get oiled, it's easy to keep them alive!

Bottom line for our Hobies? I suspect we are not getting dried out in the shaft bearing areas, plain and simple. That's where some of the lube materials are helping people like Road Runner.

Truly, the Stainless Steel shafts are the only practical solution. We just have to learn to keep them alive as best we can. That's what's great about the posts I read on this board.

Regards, JimL