Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird karma day.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Many of us have towed in other kayaks, dingys, canoes, and powerboats. Today, using an Outback I'd borrowed from Tim at Dana Jet-Ski, I towed in a "Hobie Skiff"!

They had a major breakdown in the lower unit of their outboard, and our group happened upon them. Pretty weird having a Hobie powerboat get towed by a Hobie kayak!?

I did discover something interesting for anyone needing to tow something heavy. Hold the towline in your right hand, and once you get the boat moving steer yourself AND the towed boat by swinging your rope-hand right or left (passing it over your head). Which ever side you hold the tow rope out, will pull you and the towed boat in that direction.

I found I didn't have to touch the rudder...just left it straight ahead. I was able to steering him right into the launch ramp dock.

Have a great New Year,
JimL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what would be the best way if I had to tow something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice tip. But if you wanted to go straight ahead, did you have to hold the line over your head? My guess is that you just tucked it close to you on either side of your body, right?

Your idea is making me think I should stow a longer line than I have (a 6 foot dog leash snapped to the back of my Outback).

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jim's overhead method seems to work out very well, especially with heavier tows. It can be difficult to gain steerage (even with the large rudder) because the tow speed is pretty slow. A crosswind or chop can be even more problematic when you're down to 1MPH.

For me, the best way to change course is to pull the tow arm forward, providing momentary slack enough to accelerate, turn slightly and establish a new heading. This can be done repeatedly as necessary.

A 20' 3/16 or 1/4" line is plenty for towing. You're probably going to be generating no more than about 50# of thrust, so almost anything will work. Most boats have a bow line (as in the case above) -- if so, it is usually plenty big. Comfort for the hands should be considered if you have very far to go. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes....during fairly straight tow, I hold the line with my right hand on the side of my boat.

Though I was using an Outback for that particular tow, I feel the Sport is a better "tow truck". Maybe because it's short, or maybe the deep keel tracking effect...I just think is works better.

I know they're slow, but I sure love my Sports! Here's a pic of their new-used "rack hauler" (uses an electric winch to raise and lower each boat, individually). The hinged "gate" holds the kayaks in place (to eliminate tie downs) and there is now a second support (behind the cross-beam aft of the seat area) to reduce load on the drive hole.