Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm considering the purchase of a used "07 Adventure; good shape, upgraded to new rudder system w/sailing rudder ('09 system). Or, for about $400 more, a new "09 Adventure. Both yaks from local dealer, great guy bought my '08 Oasis from him last year.

Money is a bit of an issue. But, brand new vs used, '09 drives vs '07 drives, rudder system would be the same, cam locks vs click-n-go, warranty on '09; not sure on '07 (used, probably a demo, what do you think Matt?). I believe the hull,seat,hatches are same design. Of course '09 is color of my choice.

I would be adding turbos and sailing rudder to either and the new V2 sprockets to the "07.

Would appreciate any input to help with decision.

RoadRunner, sorry to single you out, but you've always posted great advice and useful reviews so I'm hoping you'll respond!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm 
Hobie Team Member

One thing to consider is that the warranty is non-transferable as far as I know.

Original owners get a warranty, but second owners do not.

Just a quick FYI.

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Worth the extra $400 for the 2009. Lots of little improvements, especially if you're getting the V2 Mirage drive included. Also buy the Turbo fins and ask for the newest ones with the tougher material.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Its funny, as I listed the differences, I came to that conclusion myself. But the outside input is always helpful.

Now if the economy would just start improving it would be easier to do or at least help me to convince my wife its a good thing to do!

Hey,maybe Hobie will offer their version of a stimulus package. I see they are offering rebates on some models, why not all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I believe the warranty IS transferable, but is 2 yrs for the '07 hull (1 year on the Drive) and 2 years on both hull and Drive for the '09.

You've done a good job of spotting the differences, the most significant of which is the C & G. Both hulls are otherwise almost identical (slightly different rudder tube arrangement) and will give you the same performance.

Upgrading the '07 drums and cable/chains runs about $130 (I think), so if you were to do that, you could subtract it from the price difference, but add $23 for the large rudder for the '09. So now you're looking at about $300 and the value of the color difference?

A lot of your decision might bear on the condition of the '07. If it is a bit scratched up with stretched out pockets, out of warranty and in need of a Drive upgrade, AND you you're meticulous about your equipment, it sounds like the '09 is the better value.

On the other hand, if it is really clean and your dealer will make you a nice package deal with the Drive upgrade, Turbofins and cart, the '07 can be an excellent boat on a tight budget. Your dealer may be a little more motivated to sell one or the other. Personally, I'd ask him for an out the door price on both including the equipment and upgrades you need -- then make your decision.

I personally agree with Kayaking Bob that the difference in value is probably there, especially considering your color preference. On the other hand, I wouldn't encourage you to spend more than you're comfortable with, especially if it causes any financial or emotional strain for you or your wife. Either will do the job very nicely -- they have the same capability! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the advice. Will be most likely going w/'09 Adventure. May have to wait a bit though. I heard there was an issue with the resins for the Golden Papaya ( my preference) and they just started going back into production.