Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The newer pedals are not compatible with older drives. Older drives had solid aluminum cranks with bicycle style pedals that had left or right threads. This is likely a right crank as well. The threaded shaft in the left pedal will not thread into a right-threaded crank. He could get a left (older) pedal (we have a few in stock still). Remove the plastic pedal part from the threaded post and install on the crank.

Left older threaded pedal ( 81220001 )

Matt - I ordered this pedal from my local Hobie dealer almost 2 weeks ago and checked in with them today. They said this pedal is on back order at the factory. I just wanted to check that it this is the right part number for the left pedal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:11 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

They are available and there are not any of these pedals (81220001) on backorder. Who is your dealer? Perhaps they ordered the wrong part?

Brendan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered it from The Fly Fisherman in Titusville, FL. Although I ordered it the Saturday before last the order would not have gone in before Tuesday the 17th at the earliest, so maybe it is still being worked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We remove the straps off every new Hobie we sell and throw thenm in the trash where they belong. I also take a hack saw and saw the nobs off the pedals. They are not needed and the knobs rub up against the kayak on some yaks. The straps also make the pedals twist forwardrequiring us to glue heavier lead wheights on the back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

barrell wrote:
We remove the straps off every new Hobie we sell and throw thenm in the trash where they belong. I also take a hack saw and saw the nobs off the pedals. They are not needed and the knobs rub up against the kayak on some yaks. The straps also make the pedals twist forwardrequiring us to glue heavier lead wheights on the back.

WOW! What dealer do you represent? I definitely won't be bringing my Drive there for service!!

Those straps are actually put there for a purpose. Removing them and any possibility of replacing them is like neutering a bull -- a lot of the Drive's power and control comes from those straps! Here are some examples:

True, some users don't like them -- if they want a wimpy Drive, that should be their call, not yours. Hobie employs design engineers for a good reason. :?

BTW, a thin bungee will keep the pedals lined up better than adding a bunch of weight to the pedals. Call Hobie to learn about this. Also the rubbing issue shouldn't be happening since the new drums come out in 2008 -- it was usually limited to the old drums, #7 position in a couple of models.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good man Roadrunner, great post!

I'm a million miles away from Hobie and am trusting their design and build integrity fully. To date, I have been delighted with my purchase, I am now a loyal fan of Hobie and continually marvel at how well the details of the product are thoroughly thought out. What I lack in techncal know-how, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm and enjoyment.

This Forum has helped teach me how to better use the kayak and how to effect numerous repairs. It's a great facility which Hobie appear to fully support.

Similarly, I trust my dealer to be an extension of Hobie and to guide me through any difficulties. It is inconceivabe that someone would make a judgement and modify the original design or build integrity simply because they form 'a view'. I purchase the product in good faith and exspect it to perform to the manner promised. In this case, the arbitrary removal of the straps affects the performance of the drive and therefore the impression of the product. This is not acceptable.

If I decide to chop off the straps, hack off the hatch, install a BBQ and ultimately burn the kayak to the ground, then that's my choice, my cost and my folly. But the product should not be vandalised before I get it.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:47 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Upyaboya wrote:
I trust my dealer to be an extension of Hobie and to guide me through any difficulties. It is inconceivabe that someone would make a judgement and modify the original design or build integrity simply because they form 'a view'. I purchase the product in good faith and exspect it to perform to the manner promised. In this case, the arbitrary removal of the straps affects the performance of the drive and therefore the impression of the product. This is not acceptable.

If I decide to chop off the straps, hack off the hatch, install a BBQ and ultimately burn the kayak to the ground, then that's my choice, my cost and my folly. But the product should not be vandalised before I get it.

Well said! 8)