Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Under Sail
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I demo'd the Pro Angler with a sail kit last weekend and it's led to more questions............

Unfortunately, the rudder on the boat I was demo'ing was not adjusted properly and I couldn't really put it to the test while under sail.

What I really want to know is: Can the rudder on this boat can handle the pressure of the sail in stronger winds or will the sail overpower it and cause it to pop or retract? Is the rudder big enough for sailing?

I know the boat is built for fishing and not necessarily for sailing but the sail capabilities are an important part of my decision to buy one. I want one for the fishing amenities but if it doesn't sail well I'll likely pass on paying so much for one and stick to my AI for fishing.

Does anyone have any heavier wind sailing experience with the PA? If so, how does the rudder react?

Post subject: Sailing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought the sail kit for my Outback which is set up for fishing.. It works fine but works better with the larger optional sailing rudder. Strong gusts are no problem. It tracks fine. But be advised that once the sail is unfurled it is nearly impossible to furl it back up as the sail rotates around the mast.

Anyone have any experience furling up the sail while under way??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Harvey.

Before the ProAngler came out I demo'd an Outback with the sail kit and was prepared to buy one. It works great under sail! If I knew the PA worked as well as the Outback I'd jump on it.

I think I saw some older posts about making a furling mod for the mast kit. I seem to remember there being difficulty with it though, because pretty much anything you do to the mast to put an attachment point on it will weaken it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I've not had a chance to sail the Pro Angler yet but I can't imagine that rudder not working like the outback. The rudder turns the boat w/o and problem, maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to get a sail on one.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

weinerdog wrote:
Unfortunately, the rudder on the boat I was demo'ing was not adjusted properly and I couldn't really put it to the test while under sail.

What was the matter with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

weinerdog wrote:
I think I saw some older posts about making a furling mod for the mast kit. I seem to remember there being difficulty with it though, because pretty much anything you do to the mast to put an attachment point on it will weaken it.

I had trouble with an earlier furling adaptation because I drilled a hole in the mast for the line to exit. The mast snapped at the hole after about a year of use. :(
I went on to change that and have had no trouble with using the canopy/bimini knuckle detailed here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8455

If I was doing this all over again I would copy the cleat arrangement on the AI which would prevent tangling of the furling line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner wrote:
weinerdog wrote:

What was the matter with it?

RR- I think it had to do with the rudder control lever. It was moved to the right side of the seat rather than the default postion on the left.

EZrider opened a post describing exactly the same rudder problem I experienced. On each boat the rudder was moved to the right. Got to be it...