Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was going to try to rig an above hull support for a cart on my adventure using the existing rear aka support bolts and threaded inserts. The reason for this is when kayak is loaded with fishing supplies, it would be more convenient to just plug in wheels without having to lift yak to put cart in thru scupper holes. I use the adventure primarily for fishing/touring total weight with gear about 80lbs.

My idea was to use a 1 1/4" pvc cross member with a 1" pvc going thru it, which could rotate and lock in place either in down position (transport kayak) or up position (use kayak). Cross member would be raised above hull about 1 1/2" to allow for paddle storage. Would use aluminum rod or galvanized conduit inside pvc to add strength. The idea is to easily retract wheels when launching and lock in up position when on water, up position would be parallel to water above water line. Very easy when returning to shore to unlock from up position and lock in down position to just then roll kayak out of water.

My question and concern are the threaded inserts in the hull where the aka rear supports strong enough to support the kayak? I'm sure there will be a lot of concentrated stress there especially when transporting over rough terrain. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey Matt, the Hobie engineers may want to consider this as an upgrade for us folk that use the adventure for fishing more than sailing! Keep me in mind if they use my idea!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If two threaded inserts anchor a lift handle, I don't see why four couldn't handle a cart. Am looking forward to seeing your design! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Rough design works pretty good. Just used on hard surfaces though, haven't tried it thru sand. Very simple design maybe $5 in materials as I already had wheels. Cross beam opens a lot of possibilities; mounting area for rod holders, flag mount, light,etc. After I put it thru sand test will post pics. Still concerned about support capabilities of threaded inserts. Matt what do you think? I value your opinion. I guess if the threaded inserts fail, they can be removed and bolts with a aluminum support backing can be installed, just need to double check accessibility in that area.

Only other issue, wheels tend to splay out a bit. Easily fixed with bungee cord between wheel support posts. Also probably only needed on longer trecs thru sand or rougher terrain.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tried taking some pics today, not sure how to post them. Hope this link to photobucket works.
http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv270/bjb125/

Definitely easier to use when launching and landing than scupper hole cart. Very quick and simple. Easy to lock wheels in a more forward position (next to seat) if weight distribution is an issue, but I didn't feel any problem they way they were. Wheels very easy to retract while in kayak as they float. If water gets too choppy the wheels can be left locked down or allowed to float at water level for more stability, like an outrigger, but that creates more drag. Bungee cord between supports is a good idea as the wheels tend to push thru sand (the wider wheeleeze would work better). Wheel supports easy to remove for transport.

A lot of possibilities.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bjb,
Brilliant! 8)
I especially like the way the wheels have another function (stabilizers) when on the water. I wonder if larger balloon tyres would actually work OK as ama?
You are right in saying lots of possibilities. I can see a wheel option for the sidekick bar being very popular. :wink:
Great work!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great! :)
I have fantasized for a long time about something similar for the AI/TI - but never get past the dreaming stage! :roll:
If you watch the videos of the following you can see how the wheels just rise up above the waterline on the sides of the hull.
http://www.sealegs.com/recreation-61m-rib

With our yaks it's also possible to insert a front leg and wheel using the mirage drive well.
One of my mates uses this method to effortlessly transport his 2 AIs a few hundred metres. I will post some photos sometime. He's going to make me one for my TI which is being delivered weekend after next (19/3). I particularly like the fact the the wheel & leg can be removed from above by simply unclicking the mirage plug mechanism.

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bjb, I am working on a set of these with aluminum square tubing so you can pull out the tubes and rotate them 90 degrees for storage. I'll post pictures when I'm through.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keep me posted, interested to see how it works out. I only used my setup for a short awhile. It didn't seem to hold up as well I as hoped when pulling thru deep sand. Lost interest in pursuing it once fishing season started!