Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
kmay wrote:

I have an outback mirage with a leak in the drive trunk.

Unfortunaty this one is not repairable. You should do a warranty request for a new hull. Contact your dealer. This issue has been corrected and was determined to be a production process issue.

Unfortunatly I am dealing with this exact issue for a second time. The first time the hull was replaced by my dealer. Now this has happened to me again only after using it a few times. I want to get it fixed but feel uneasy & wonder if the same thing will happen again. The dealer doesn't know that this is an issue. If this issue has been corrected, how will I know I am getting one that will not leak? This problem is really beginning to irritate me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update, spoke to hobie today and they said they would send me a new hull without this problem. Sounds like I have terrible luck, two bad hulls in a row :shock:

Post subject: Fixed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

This was corrected some time ago. We had been having an inconsistant issue here. Made some changes late last year which seems to have stopped it, then we did even more this spring and again last month another small change to the production techniques. Should be ZERO possibility at this point.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: bone dry
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all:

I am happy to report my new hull is bone dry after several outings. Goes faster too!

It may be just a hopeful perception, but I think the mirage drive is a good bit of a snug fit in the new hull vs. the old.

A happy paddle to you all, fair winds and tight lines.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are about to buy our first kayak and are looking seriously at the Mirage Tandem. Has anyone had any experience with water leaks with that style of kayak? All this talk about leaks and cracks is a little unnerving.

Thanks for any input.

Nancy

Post subject: Drive well leak
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

This appears to be specific to the Outback in a range of production dates... then mostly in the sand color.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Drive well leak
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
This appears to be specific to the Outback in a range of production dates... then mostly in the sand color.

Can you estimate what that range of dates is? Or perhaps serial/hull numbers?

As the owner of a sand Outback, this is a bit unsettling.

Thanks.

Post subject: Estimate?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Estimate?

The problem was pretty much confined to production last April-Oct I think. Several changes were made along the way. Lots of inspections were done and the problem was very inconsistant. The area was possibly molded thin and would only fail under heavy use. You can easily find if your boat has the issue by looking where the drive presses the front of the well. There could be a small crack that would be closed unless pressed on. Perhaps a light inside the hull can help you see (light coming through). There are a few ideas to help prevent it as well. Filling the area with a hard rubber compound may work to pad it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: hull leaks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2 outbacks, both bought this year, 1 in feb, 1 in march, i am verry
concerned about leaks, the yaks are stored upside down on a rack in the garage, and transported the same way. I clean and adjust every thing after every use acording to the manual, my point is they are well maintained and not thrashed in any way. they are both used as intended. I tried others before i bought but was sold on the mirage system.
I have 4 friends who also have outbacks, two of the 6 yaks have had leaks. one has been replaced, one is in the process of being replaced. both were molded after the suspect dates here and at kfs forum. i realize this may be a small number in relation to the total built but 40 % failure rate is unacceptable.
I dont have the confidence to use my yak for what i bought it for, fishing at la jolla, it seems i have a white elephant, if I sell i cant get close to what i paid for the yaks, 1 was outback all the extras, that i cant trust to take me fishing and bring me back.
if this was a car or motorcycle it would have been recalled, 3 repair attempts results in a lemon law buyback. does anyone remember the nissan van, they bought all of them back and scrapped them.
i think hobbie designed a good product but the design has been changed due to cracking concerns in the mirage drive tunnel. whhy cant hobie issue a notice to all owners to watch for problems? maybe issue a retrofit kit to strengthen the weak spot?
any thoughts?

Post subject: leak perspective
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to post on this topic to help alleviate any worries about the boat's safety.

My hull had a crack in the trunk. With the boat nearly half full of water, I had little difficulty in paddling or peddaling. I had paddled three hours across open water with 2- 3 foot of chop with the leak. On another trip, I paddled down the Strong River for a total of six hours paddling. The boat was just sluggish and after three hours, the water in the trunk area sloshed over the seat when I accelarated. BTW, that is when I "decided" I had a problem and looked for the source. I never perceived any danger of sinking or stablility problems. After draining the boat and a simple application of chewing gum, I finished the river trip without any further need to drain the boat.

The leak was simply an inconvenience. Given the air volume, and the boat's speed, I think it one would have little danger. Sure, I think it is terrible to have to patch a new boat due to a manufacturing problem. But the leak did not stop me from enjoying the boat and Hobie sent me another boat at no cost to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I keep seeing a lot of posts about these trunk leaks... Could someone please post a picture so I know exactly where to look for these leaks? Are they at the forward or rear areas of the trunk? Are the cracks occurring where the metal pins rest on each side if the trunk? I think more specifics on where these leaks are occurring would be a big help. I would like to retrofit my own solution if possible.

Post subject: Re: hull leaks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

homer21 wrote:
I have 2 outbacks, both bought this year, 1 in feb, 1 in march, i am verry concerned about leaks, the yaks are stored upside down on a rack in the garage, and transported the same way. ... whhy cant hobie issue a notice to all owners to watch for problems? maybe issue a retrofit kit to strengthen the weak spot? any thoughts?
Are you positive your leaks are from "cracks?" I had/have leak problems. Thought my leak problems were fixed but went sailing this weekend and upon return, I had to pump 1-2 gallons out of the hull, much different from the usual two sponges full. Though not cause for concern on a day trip, I have ruled out extended trips with the Outback. I was sailing in choppy seas this weekend, so the water was probably entering through the sailing mast tube, which must be unstopped for sailing. Looks like my next step is to seal up those rivet holes with JB weld or something. Homer21 - don't give up. Leaks occur in a number of possible places and can happen in any boat, be it a kayak or a 75 foot yacht.

Here are my suggestions.

1. Get some marine sealant and put a seal around anything that enters the hull, be it a cleat, mast tube, hatch, or screw.

2. Make sure you use a stopper in the sailing mast tube when kayaking but not sailing. It is the major source of leak in my kayak and when unstopped, can result in several gallons of water in the hull in a few hours.

3. If you are still getting gallons of water in the hull, test the hull with a little pressure and soapy water. Leaking places will be identified with bubbles. I used a 12 volt coleman air mattress pump for a few seconds in the drain plug, screwed the plug back in, soaped the kayak down and watched for leaks.

http://mobilepaddler.blogspot.com/

Post subject: cracks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes thehulls were cracked one hull in 3 places, mirage drive trunk at the front. one under the seat scupper drain.
it is one thing to use the yak on a lake where the waves aren't verry large.
its quite another to launch through 3-5 foot waves and paddle all day long in 5-8 swells.
let me be clear my 2 yaks dont leak yet!!!, I know of 5 people who have outbacks, out of 6 yaks there have been 2 confirmed cases of hull cracks.
one yak leaked so bad there was over 15 gallons of water inside the hull after a 2 hour lake trip in calm weather. the yakker had serious doubts abut making landfall.
I personally have stopped using the yaks for what they were purchased for, fishing off of la jolla. now i worry about fishing on lakes. If there was a retrofit kit or simple mod to do then great, if silence is the answer then i put my faith in the wrong product.
if it was just an isolated case or just me but my friends feel the same way about the issue of the cracks, and with such a small group of yaks and
2 yaks with cracks after less than 6 months of use what are we supposed to do :roll: :shock:

Post subject: New information
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

A possible preventative measure...

If the MirageDrive is in the correct position in the well, the forward spine rides on a durable vertical ledge of material. If the locking knobs are not tightened properly, it is possible for the drive in Outback to be pushed forward, out of position, and in extreme cases causing an excessive force to be applied to the forward area of the well. This area is not designed to bear the loads.

Solution? Keep the locking knobs tight!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1 more place that leaks, that I havent seen mentioned yet. My wife's Sport leaks, but only when I use it. I weigh about 100kg and when I pedal fast the stern dips into the water causing water to enter through the line holes.
After an hour or so there can be uo to 20 litres water inside the hull. This doesnt worry my wife, as she is much lighter and doesnt go as quick as me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next