Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oasis or Tandem Island?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi!

I've been thinking about buying a Hobie kayak for a quite some time now. My primary use for the kayak is camping trips with a friend (we're both grown men). Until now I was sure I'd be buying Oasis because it's tandem and has lots of storage space. I was also planning to buy the sail kit and turbo fins for more speed and longer journeys (and less pedaling). I read from this forum that the sail isn't big enough for Oasis when fully loaded? But now Hobie is releasing the Tandem Island! Here in Finland Oasis costs 2690€ (with the sail kit and turbo fins for both 3329€) and Tandem Island costs 4995€. So there's still a big difference. I think TI would be more convenient because it has the bow hatch, I think Oasis' small hatches aren't very handy with camping gear (sleeping bags and a tent). I understand it's possible to remove akas/amas from the TI so it becomes an "ordinary" kayak like the Oasis? Is there some problems with this? Is it still stable and maneuverable and fast? I just can't decide which kayak would better serve my needs. I'd like to sail but I also want a normal kayak.. Is it worth paying over 1000 euros more for the TI?

I'd be glad to hear some opinions from you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the TI will be far more versatile than the tandem the large hatch alone makes the difference when packing for a trip, then the stability under sail cannot be compared,probably faster to, though I cannot verify never having sailed/peddled a tandem..with all the hardware taken off you have your very effective tandem as well.

MM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Oasis but I'm probably going to upgrade to a Tandem Island, primarily for the sailing ability but I'm also looking forward to seeing how much better it'll be in kayak mode.

The primary advantage should be a significant reduction in wave drag due to the longer and narrower hull and since that seems to be a large drag component for the Oasis at normal cruising speeds the Tandem Island should be faster although it's difficult to say by how much.

The other big advantage, apart from more storage space as you mentioned, seems to be a more spacious front seat. The Oasis is somewhat cramped in that department and if you and your friend haven't tested one to see if it's large enough, that could be a showstopper right there. The dual steering controls also seems like a nice feature on longer trips since you can take turns steering while underway, might be a problem if you can't agree on where you're going though. :wink:

Apart from the much higher price the only real disadvantage should be the increase in length and weight but It should be manageable since you are two. The stability might also be somewhat lower due to the narrower hull but I doubt it'll be a problem since the Oasis has plenty of stability and the Tandem Island is still 6 cm wider then the Adventure whose stability I haven't seen anyone complain about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Andy,
At this stage, as no-one has posted a review of the TI, it's difficult to answer your questions. (C'mon Hobie when is Roadrunner going to be given one? :? )
I have an Oasis and two AI's and have placed an order for the TI.
I'm assuming the TI will be as versatile as the AI is when in kayak only mode. It should be faster than the Oasis given its longer length and narrower beam, and nicer to paddle.
The only negative I can see will be handling the extra length and weight of the hull.
To me the AI offers the best value in the Hobie range as it is so versatile. The extra cost is well worth it. Likewise the TI should be even more versatile and still very good value when compared to the price of the Oasis and standard sail etc.
We really enjoy our Oasis but it will probably be the kayak that goes when the TI turns up! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your replies!

My local dealer says they'll have the Tandem Island in stock in april. Is there an official release date announced? Some people have already seen the TI at boat shows.. A proper review would be nice, though. Hopefully we get one really soon! What about transporting the TI? There are some threads about the Adventure Island, and the TI is even heavier and longer. Any idea is the hull rigid enough to be transported on a roof rack? I have a small(ish) car (Fiat Stilo hatchback). There's only about 70cm (~2,2ft) between the rack bars and the car itself is 3ft shorter than the kayak. Is trailer the only option?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

andy wrote:
I have a small(ish) car (Fiat Stilo hatchback). There's only about 70cm (~2,2ft) between the rack bars and the car itself is 3ft shorter than the kayak. Is trailer the only option?
Here's an arrangement that allows any car to handle a kayak. the beauty of this system is that you can put it on the rear bar directly without worrying about the boat contacting the trunk or roof, while lengthening the span between bars. It consists of a hitch mount and a removable "T" bar:

I think the TI should be roof mountable by a single person, depending on the rooftop installation and the vigor of the user. It doesn't weigh much more than the Pro Angler, which definitely can be roof mounted. No doubt a trailer would be more convenient though for many. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Andy,

The TI would be much more versatile. I have an Adventure with the small sail and will get a TI when I have saved the money for the very same reason carry two people and equipment.
I believe that AI owners would not recommend using the TI sail without the akas and amas. There are instructions on building an adapter and using the smaller kayak sail in-place of the larger sail when the outriggers are removed.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Speaking of using the sail without the amas, have anyone tried sailing the AI as a proa with only the port ama attached? You would need a trampoline so you can hike out when sailing with the ama on the windward side, but if it works you should be able to reach pretty high sailing speeds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You FIRST!

Post video. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd try it if I had one but I'll have to wait for the Tandem Island before trying it myself. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Upset_Nerd wrote:
Speaking of using the sail without the amas, have anyone tried sailing the AI as a proa with only the port ama attached? You would need a trampoline so you can hike out when sailing with the ama on the windward side, but if it works you should be able to reach pretty high sailing speeds.

This is exactly the configuration the Austrailians are using. This gives several advantages including making an excellent deep water fishing rig. You can see the rigs at yakass.com.