Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This past Friday, we had to abort a cruise trip with our Oasis. I tested the rudder before we took it off the trailer, and I couldn't get it to go to the right/starboard.

After about 10 minutes I could see what was happening re the control strings not turning the rudder when we used the rudder control. I had no idea how to fix it.

After we got home and several frustrating attempts to find out how to fix the rudder via the search mechanism on this site, for some reason I decided to go to google.

Google recommended some PDF pages here that I hadn't found. I went there and copied two pages.

Then, I got a bottle of iced tea and went out with my screwdriver and two pages. In a few minutes I had the rudder turning as far to the right as it could, centering and turning to the left. The task was simple and could have been done at the lake with my Leatherman tool.

My time wasn't totally wasted as I discovered that I should have been doing some post yaking maintenance with the rudder, similiar to what we do with the Mirages after we use the yak.

So if you can't out how to solve a Hobie problem with the search program here, try Google. Yahoo was no help, the search results kept trying to sell me something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So what is the link to the PDF files you were led to?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Likely those are pages located on our support area here: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/index-kayak.html

There is also links to there from the Kayak FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewforum.php?f=21

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

damnfingers wrote:
So what is the link to the PDF files you were led to?

Google search parameters: adjusting the twist and stow rudder on Hobie Kayaks

end result:

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/support/docu ... al2006.pdf

This is the Down Under site. I copied page 5 and 6. Those pages are with others in glassine page protectors and in a thin 3 ring notebook with other helping diagrams and photos. The notebook stays in our Ridgeline.

Then, my wife and I adjusted the rudder on our Oasis as per the instructions. You really need two people with a yak as long as the Oasis to adjust the rudder.

Then, we took it to a local lake, and the rudder worked better than ever with less wandering and better right turn performance.

We were able to make tight right 360's in a diameter about twice the length of the Oasis, and the tight left 360's were even tighter.

Our Oasis is steering better than ever. Looking back on the day we got it, there was zero adjusting of anything. Our new Oasis was unpacked and put on top of our Ridgeline with no adjustments or trials or anything.

As per my GPS the turns were made at about 2 mph to 3.8/9 mph.