Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Dealer input
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Now I've done my research over the last 2 months on just about every kayak available. Lots of research........... from a kayaks multi role versatility to its construction and lets face it....... price has to be a consideration in there somewhere as well. But sometimes you have to throw price into the wind to get the kayak that does what you need. I needed multi role for various fishing elements from salt water lagoon and flats to the primeval creeks and rivers of Florida. Sometimes getting to a hot spot on the salt scene needs to be quick and fast. I chose a Hobie. Albeit I had a tough time choosing between the Outback and the Revolution ( I'll never forgive Hobie for that either ) :P . However I needed to fiind a dealer.

Hobie has had a small share of problems with dealers in my area ( brevard county Florida) or was it lack of dealers. I know I was ready to buy at a time when Hobie was switching out one dealer for another. Hence I didn't have much option but to do a wait and see or drive 100 miles to the next closest available dealer. The one dealer remaining in the county was primarily a Hobie Cat dealer and had nothing on the kayaks to show. :x A few days latter I did a dealer search again and found that you finally got a new dealer in the Vero Beach area. Some 35 miles away.

Now I'm deaf so couldn't call to find out what his status was. I didn't want to buy a kayak from some half bean hole in the wall but from a reputable dealer with a full linie of accessories and knowledge to boot. When I got there they hadn't a hobie to their name yet. But they were due. I'm talking about Orchid Island Bikes & Kayaks. I left Malcom with my email addy and Cell phone as he said he would text me when the kayaks came in.

He got em all set up on Tuesday and sent me the text. I was there Wednesday afternoon to put the new dealer to the test. He knew just as much about the kayaks as I did and then some. Made some nice satisfaction assurances to make sure he gets customers for life such as if you buy a kayak from him he'll install any accessories you buy no labor charge. Buy a kayak from him and downn the road buy accessories from him......... again........ he'll install them FOC !! What more can you ask from a dealer? This is what I was looking for in this county and now we have it.

I bought a Revolution (Yippie and tippy kae yea cowpatty !!) and Turbo fins, cord for the paddle just for starters. He'll install it and have it ready for pick up in one day. He didn't have the sailing rudders unpacked yet but thats no deal.

I'd say Hobie, Malcolm Allen and the employees at
Orchid Island Bikes & Kayaks in Vero beach Florida are off to a great start!! I was thoroughly impressed.

By the way........... I also am responcible for buying their first Hobie sold since they got them in so I expect something in return from Hobie in lue thereof. IE: Hobie t-shirt, hat or maybe even an autographed picture of Batman...... better yet...... hobie underwear !! :P

Ben S.
Palm Bay, Florida

Post subject: Re: New Dealer input
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice write up and I hope they keep up the good work. As for you, welcome to the dark side. You're going to love it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Man two days on the boat ( 1 day fishin ) and I'm wondering how i ever did without a kayak. Way to much fun and great excersize not to mention addicting.

Had one small problem that caused the boat to be taken to the dealer. The left rudder cable freyed at the contact point in the twist N stow while my lure was being stalked by a small tarpon. No worries at all. I know this dealer will take more than good care of his customers. Thats why when I dropped the YAK off I bought a couple rod extenders and a scotty mount. :P

Now where's my Hobie underwear?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You're in Florida. No need to wear underwear when kayaking :lol: .

Keith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

trainsktg wrote:
You're in Florida. No need to wear underwear when kayaking :lol: .

Keith

Then everyone will stop to take pictures :roll: