Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I long ago got rid of the footstraps on my pedals - they don't seem to serve any real purpose (unless you want to pull up on a pedal as well as press down on it like the pro cyclists do on their bikes). I also cut off the plastic lugs on the sides of the pedals that the straps fit onto (because i found that my fishing lines had a tendency to catch up on these).

Don't worry if the pedalling action is a bit uncomfortable at first - just take it easy to start with because it is a rather different action from cycling/walking/running/stepping. As someone else has said, over time your strength will quickly increase.

In my experience once your muscles have got accustomed to the action, you can keep pedalling far longer than you think because the exercise (as long as the Mirage Drive is adjusted correctly to your leg length) is so low-impact. I arrive back at the beach at the end of a long day thinking that I am going to be hobbling only to find that, while I am tired (frequently knackered) my joints and muscles are not battered and bruised as they would be if I had spent the same amount of time walking/running/cycling/at the gym.

I have been Hobie-ing for several years now & have built up some pedalling strength - yesterday I did five and a half hours pedalling round my local islands, trolling a lure and catching numerous fish on the way. My speed on the GPS (when not catching) varied from ~5.5-6 knots (sailing & pedalling with favourable wind and tide) to ~3.5-4.5 knots (going in the other direction i.e unfavourable wind and tide). I think it would be hard to paddle any sort of kayak at those kinds of speeds for that long.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What happens if I don’t research my river path very well and happen on some light to medium rapids? I know these kinds of kayaks are not recommended for this kind of activity but I would like to know if I should get to shore at all cost or just pull up the rudder and remove the drives and hope for the best.