Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a novice kayaker and have been watching the Hobie models for a few years and would now like to buy one. There is an opportunity to purchase a 2009 13.5' Hobie Mirage-Drive Revolution in Toronto Ontario. I have some concerns regarding possible leaks, lack of warranty etc and wonder if I am further ahead to purchase new to avoid future liabilities.

The kayak comes with the larger rudder and little trolley cart for $1600 Cdn.

Any input would be appreciated-thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take a look at it then show him 12 big ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Inspect the drive well and rear scupper areas for cracks. Other than that, there's not much that can go wrong structurally in normal use. Make sure the rudder and drive work smoothly. Both are easy fixes, but problems will affect the price. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To check for leaks you can put water inside with a hose and see if any water comes out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Inspect VERY carefully for leaks, especially round the drivewell: if you find any cracks in this area, no matter how small/hairline they are I suggest you walk away. If they don't already leak, they are likely to do so in the future, they will be pretty much unrepairable and without a warranty you will be "stuffed". (Someone here in NZ recently sold online a cracked hull to an unsuspecting purchaser who ended up considerably out of pocket and with a lemon on his hands. I do not believe that this kind of cynical behaviour is the norm for Hobie kayakers but clearly it can happen to the unwary...)

You can test for drivewell leaks on the water (just as long as you are heavy enough to get the drivewell preperly immersed). Make sure that the boat is dry inside before you set off and make sure you pedal a reasonable distance: pedalling seems to pump water into the hull if any drivewell cracks are present. Of course pedalling about won't detect above waterline leaks but they are typically less serious and more easily rectified: if there's noticeable water inside the hull when you get back to shore, take to your heels !

Does the boat have the newer "click'n'go" drive-lock system or the older "knurled knob" system? The newer system is much better and seems to be a safer bet w.r.t avoiding problems. If it has the newer system and no leaks subject to proper examination you should be OK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you want piece of mind, personally I'd go visit Fogh and see if they have a new last years model, they are usually discounted 10%. Then get a generic cart for $60 somewhere, they are easier to get the kayak on when it's loaded up anyways, the big rudder is under $30.

I got exactly what I was looking for, colour and model, in a last year model a month ago from Fogh.

If you really are on a tight budget consider the used Revo but yes, give it a good going over, especially where it straps down and definitely demand the original receipt so that you at least have a chance at pursuing the warranty if anything does come up. Depending on when it was bought it might still have some warranty left?

I'd go $1400 tops if it looks well looked after and has no apparent issues. I saw that one forsale Btw :)

good luck, maybe see you out pedaling some time in the future.

Neil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do it,Do it,Do it.