Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed a crack or unformed part of the hull in my 2020 Revo 13. It's behind one of the bungee cord mounts for the paddle. I'm wondering if the black bungee cord mount pops out easily before I start prying on it and make it worse? I was thinking I could pop the bungee mount out, spread some silicone in the crack/gap then snap the bungee mount back in? Please take a look at the three attached photos and let me know if you have any repair advise? Thanks

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a tough one since it is close to the waterline as well as "eventually" you may need to replace the bungee. Did you bring it up with your dealer? As much as I could live with it- resale may be tough....

Short term, I would goo it up for peace of mind, but don't thing any water would come in. perhaps unscrew the fitting a bit and place some Goop around it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might contact the dealer and send these photos to them. Wait and see what they say before making any type of repair.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wasn't that worried with it but you bring up some good points. I let my dealer know as suggested. Just from a safety aspect, it would probably be best to at least plastic weld it. I kayak the Oregon coast so definitely don't want to chance a leak out there. Maybe Hobie could pressure test the hull before shipment to avoid this in the future?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Maybe Hobie could pressure test the hull before shipment to avoid this in the future?

We do. Just an odd spot. Not a crack... this is a mold release or bubble. Little silicone on the threaded fitting would be all that is needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Maybe Hobie could pressure test the hull before shipment to avoid this in the future?

We do. Just an odd spot. Not a crack... this is a mold release or bubble. Little silicone on the threaded fitting would be all that is needed.

So the bungee cord fitting unscrews? How do I get a grip on it without gouging the plastic with pliers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Yes, they are threaded.

Pair or larger needle nose would work. We also have a tool. May require a wrench on the handles for leverage.

71115101 TOOL - SCREW IN FITTINGS

71115001 SHOCK CORD END - SCREW-IN

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

toofazt wrote:
mmiller wrote:
Quote:

So the bungee cord fitting unscrews? How do I get a grip on it without gouging the plastic with pliers?

toofazt in my opinion it's best to get the tool. A lot of guys use the pliers but it's really easy to scratch up the kayak removing these anyway. Using pliers makes it more likely you'll leave some scratches in the yak.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For anybody buying the fitting removal tool, it is best to get the actual Hobie part from a dealer. On Amazon and other places if not careful you can end up with an inferior imitation tool that does not fit well, gouges the hull around the fitting, and bends easily. Wherever you buy, read the reviews, and be cautious if the price seems a bargain.

Peter (speaking from bad experience)