Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Everyone,

I had an issue with my 2014 Hobie Outback which was purchased this February. I was out this past weekend and all of a sudden there's a loud pop and I get rocked back. (For lack of a better word) The eye that the seat clips to on the starboard side of the yak popped out of the kayak itself. I never studied this piece previously but it is threaded and screws into the kayak. After a few attempts at screwing it in and continuing I brought it directly to the Hobie dealer where I purchased it. They tried fixing the threads on the inside of the kayak but after a short trip on a nearby river the piece popped out again. It appears that the threads on the inside of the yak are worn down or stripped. I dropped it off again and am waiting to hear back on what the plan is.

I fish 3-4x per week so this obviously isn't sitting well with me. I'm hoping that this will be a quick, easy fix and I won't have to go the warranty route. I know it may depend on the shop but any feedback from guys who have had to get their Hobies repaired or replaced would be greatly appreciated. Is it a lengthy process? Is Hobie responsive? Or is it going to be a struggle if I have to go the warranty route?

Any previous experiences or info from guys inside the industry would be great to hear.

Thanks!

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

If you read the forums much you will find that we are responsive. You have to place a claim with your dealer to get it started. We typically recommend they cut new threads with a tap we can ship them. Sometimes a small amount of plastic welding to give more material to tap into.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good to know. I'm going to drop by the store today. I don't know If a official claim has been made but I'll definitely make sure the ball starts rolling on that.