Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transporting Revo 11
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I recently bought a Yakima Rack and Roll trailer and wanted to buy a friend's used Hully Rollers and Mako saddles to assist loading a 2016 Revo 11 by myself. However, they seem like they might dent and/or scratch the hull. I am also considering the Malone Seawing kayak carriers. What brand would you suggest that would best fit the hull? The kayak will be on the trailer for about 20 minutes. I do not want the J racks. On longer trips, I have someone to assist me, so I will transport it cockpit side down watching out for the outrigger bar.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Transporting Revo 11
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haul a Revo 16 and a Current Design paddle kayak on a trailer with the Hully Rollers in the back and Mako saddles in front and have not had any issues...make sure the rollers contact the rounded edge of the Revo hull. Easy to load for an older guy once you get the front of the boats on the rollers. My trailer is a modified Teeny boat trailer with risers that support a horizontal Yakima bar, which hold the Yakima rollers and saddles.

Post subject: Re: Transporting Revo 11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FWIW I find that it is much easier to load and transport my Hobies (Adventure and Oasis) right side up in cradles.

I always transport them stern first so that the rudders don't need to be bungeed. Having the boats the right way up means you can leave the seats on the boats and the seat backs will lie flat in the slipstream, and you can then load them up with gear through the various hatches: I put my fishing gear, paddles, masts, sails, clothing, PFDs, etc inside them; the daggerboards go inside a boat or in the luggage area and I put the cart on top of them and bungee it down (though nothing seems to want to fly out of the luggage area when travelling even without the bungee). I don't even take my fishfinder off the boats unless I am going to stop for a while somewhere - usually I just lie it down below the gunwales so that a casual looker would not even know it was there (but then this is New Zealand!).

Pretty much all need to carry inside the car is the people and the drives.