Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to buy a used kayak, and I have narrowed down two local offers for a used outfitter.

Option 1:
Purchased 2007 (model 2006 I think) - it has two hatches only. One hatch in front of each seat (no hatch on the very rear behind 2d seat). Very nice condition, barely used, very few scratches. Rudder control is only at the 2d seat

Option 1:
Purchased 2008 (not sure what model year). it has three hatches - One hatch in front of each seat and one behind the 2d seat - this is telling me the model has got to be different. Rudder control is only at the 2d seat. This one has more moderate use, has more scratches underneath (nothing to appear structural), faded seats a bit from sitting on the sun, i guess.

Prices are the same. Both have the standard mirage drives. What I am questioning is: Is there any model flows that I should consider that may be fixed in the later model OR should i just get the one that appears very slightly used regardless it is a bit older?....
I have looked at pictures only. I will look at both in person and will try to see if I see any obvious hull differences to make me get the later model one.

Obviously, i am just getting into kayaking. Choosing tandem as I plan to be taking out by 9yr old with me all the time

Or, should I just save some more and buy new model at least last year demo?...

Just looking for some feedback and advise before I pull the trigger and buy..

Thank a lot,
Vanio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The last two digits of the serial # designate the model year. The 2 hatch Outfitter was built from 2006 to 2008 (model year). The 3 hatch version would be a 2009 model or newer. There are some significant differences:

1. The 2009 should have a "Click n Go" Drive locking system where the Drive drops in and automatically locks. Prior to that Hobie used a 'cam lock' system where the Drive is dropped in the well and there are two twist locks to hold it in place. The newer system is much more durable.
2. 2009 uses what is now called a "V-2 Drive". It is best identified by looking at how the fin masts (rods) are attached. V-2 uses brass inserts that the masts thread into. You can see this brass insert. For 2008 and older, the masts slide into plastic housing and are secured by a small Allenhead screw from the rear. The V-2 version is much more durable and maintenance - free. If both boats are otherwise sound, the '09 (verified visually and by serial #) would be favored due to these two design changes.

Accessories that come with the boats are also significant in terms of cost value. Three that I think are very important are 1. cart/wheels (let you launch and portage anywhere): 2. ST Turbofins (big performance enhancement); and 3. "large" or Sailing rudder for much better turning and low speed directional control. The replacement on these items combined would be about $300 new and I think they are all worth having to get the most out of your boat.

I would not discount the superior conditioning on the older boat. It's superior care out of the sun also has value!

Finally, make sure both boats are complete ( 2 seats, 2 paddles, 2 Drives). The Drives should operate well, not look abused and will reflect the care they got. Replacement parts are expensive for them!

Combine this information with any price flexibility of the sellers and your choice will be the right one! Welcome aboard! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Avoid models with the earlier V1 drive if possible. Weaker and more likely to fail, and the replacement parts are not as available. V2 is also easier to upgrade to latest GT if necessary.

Google V1 and V2 drum images to spot the easy to identify differences in the cable routing, V2 being longer with more bearing surface

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot for comments. Very informational!
I saw the two boats, leaning towards the older model as the condition is indeed superb. I don't think need 3d hatch as there will be a storage/fishing cradle behind 2d seat.

The only concern that I had was the price, as when doing a basic search 2014 demo models can be found at very very attractive pricing, and the used boats were not a whole lot cheaper...
I still chose the use boat and the difference will go into rigging the boat.

The fins are the old style (not the turbo fins) for both, but the newer model had a lot more visible wear and tear and I have scratched it out as an option.

The seats in the older boat may be the something that I could potentially upgrade as there are no cushion/padded areas. I mean their material was soft and spongie, but missing any jelly areas and softer pads right on the back etc.

I am picking up my hobie over the weekend. I hope i wont be disappointed. we shall see...

Thanks for responses.

I am officially hooked! let the rigging begin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, guys - new hobie outfitter guy here! I made two trips with my boy in the Chesapeake creeks here in Baltimore (primerely dundee and saltpeper creeks). I love our hobie. I installed a fish finder, we caught some cats.
I keep thinking about the drive area cracking, and peek around after every use. Hopfully that wont happen. So far, I am impressed with the boat, solid, stable, roomy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk