Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I've been out of the loop for awhile, pedaling around in my 10 yr old revo 16. Happily. Stopped at the dealer last week (not near where I live) and was offered a never unwrapped 2014 revo 13 or an unwrapped 2017 for some bucks off. My questions: what differences will I possibly experience with 13 vs 16? Is the new seat really better? I don't mind the old, also less bulky... Is reverse worth it? Another thing to break?

Just read several posts on revolution 13 being tippy. My 16 has never, ever felt tippy.

Appreciate being brought up to speed on the 13 and even why 16 is gone. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

lula wrote:
Hi, I've been out of the loop for awhile, pedaling around in my 10 yr old revo 16. Happily. Stopped at the dealer last week (not near where I live) and was offered a never unwrapped 2014 revo 13 or an unwrapped 2017 for some bucks off. My questions: what differences will I possibly experience with 13 vs 16? Is the new seat really better? I don't mind the old, also less bulky... Is reverse worth it? Another thing to break?

Just read several posts on revolution 13 being tippy. My 16 has never, ever felt tippy.

Appreciate being brought up to speed on the 13 and even why 16 is gone. Thanks

If you dont mind the seat, or the length of your current yak, and cant envision a need off the top of your head for reverse, then why bother? Ive never owned a revo but had a couple of adventures. What can the revo do besides be shorter, lighter, and slower than the adventure?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lula wrote:
...and even why 16 is gone. Thanks

The Revo 16 first came out in 2015 when the Vantage CT seat was introduced. If your kayak is 10 years old you have an Adventure, which became the Revo 16 and is still available. I’ve heard nothing about it being discontinued.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've learned one person's opinion of a kayak feeling unstable doesn't mean that's the case with the next person. I can understand why the 13 would feel a little tippy. It does to me.

The biggest differences I see between the 2014 & the 2017 are the seat and the Lowrance ready scupper. The 17 would be a lot easier to install a depth/fish finder if necessary. I personally would rather have the GT drive as I feel it's more durable based on what I've heard about the 2017 drive. Reverse is handy for bank line style fishing (whether lakes or bays). Offshore it would be handy fishing around an oil rig or similar structure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The same boat that feels "tippy" on flat water will simply rise and fall in swells, while the boat that felt so stable on flat water will roll side to side (tippy) in swells.

Pick the boat that suits the water you'll be in most often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

lula wrote:
My questions: what differences will I possibly experience with 13 vs 16? Is the new seat really better? I don't mind the old, also less bulky... Is reverse worth it? Another thing to break?
Hi lula and welcome back!

Compared with your Revo 16, the Revo 13 is less "tippy". That being said, the Vantage seat has a slightly higher center of gravity, and very much so when raised. This makes the boat "tippier" than your old style seat. Your Revo 16 is also faster and rides smoother through chop, but the Revo 13 turns quicker. The MD 180 (reversing) Drive has no performance advantage over your Drive if you don't have a use for the reverse feature. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you SO much. I think I'll stick with my boat. I don't need a really quick turn or reversing typically and I like the low and fast aspects.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A 13 is a drier ride and an on the water accessible hatch. Otherwise the 16 is a sleeker ride than a 13. 13 is a little wider which can make it easier to install gear for fishos. If you are up for it a 16 can be paddled, as opposed to pedalled, better if need be. In fact I have an old model that has been converted to a paddle only kayak.

The newer comfy seats are ok for the likes of fishos who often spend hours on the water sitting around fishing. Overall the have less stability than the older basic seats, plus lots of coin and more mechanical bits to wear out

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay, this has only taken me FOUR years to get back to.... I see where the Revo 16 came out in 2015, however I bought a brand new one from a dealer with the Revo decal on it before that. I swear. Also what's bringing this up for me is I just looked at another Revo 16, a little newer, and the forward hatch was smaller than mine and the mast step further forward. Do I actually own an Adventure?? With a revo decal?? I know this all sounds kinda nuts however I've been living in this state for 10 years (2013) and bought my boat in another probably 4 yrs before that. Maybe give Hobie the serial# and see what they say? Thought this might provide a chuckle or shake of the head for some of you. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

lula wrote:
Do I actually own an Adventure?? With a revo decal?? :
Yes. The Adventure was renamed the Revolution 16. It has recently been discontinued. Too bad!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, thanks for reply. So I actually own an "Advolution"? :lol: I wonder how many old Adventures were sold as Revos? As I mentioned, mine has Revolution 16 emblazoned on the hull. After seeing the Revo 16 with newer seat and drive I definitely prefer my forward hatch and mast step location. My boat has been so incredible I'm not sure I'd like a Revo as well? Seriously, in total crap conditions it's an animal. And fast. I have turbo fins, sailing rudder and the 303 protectant has the hull just as red as the day I bought it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:47 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

lula wrote:
Seriously, in total crap conditions it's an animal. And fast.
Agreed. It handles wind and chop like no other Hobie and is deceptively fast. Even paddling, it's one of the fastest kayaks for its length IMO. I've raced it, both pedaling and paddling -- it competes very well!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be curious what the serial number tells you. Find out here: https://www.hobie.com/articles/boat-ser ... cation,15/

Hopefully it won't be another 4 years before you get back to us! :lol: