Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Truth be told - I originally purchased 2 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13s like 2 months ago. Paddles , pfds, etc.. I had already dropped 2 bills so at the time Hobie Mirage was kinda out of the question. I had to return 1 of the Prowlers for a few reasons. 1. I found 2 leaks- obviously not water tested as guaranteed. 2. Ocean Kayak stamps their stuff in like 3 places with a serial number - no number. Yeah Quality assurance really sucked on this job. So my dealer orders another one to replace. The OK folks transposed a number and sent the wrong kayak ( wrong model and color) so thats replacement number 1. Replacement number 2 comes in and its all banged up and scratched up, granted shippers should be more careful but doesn't OK ship kayaks all the time, don't they know how to pack a kayak. Finally replacement number 3 comes in and i'm like I just don't want to screw with OK anymore, what happens if this one isn't up to snuff ? Since its a new kayak Mr dealer you can resell, since you charged me 06 pricing you can make like $200 more off of it. I applied the credit to the Hobie Revolution and will never look back. BTW OK felt really bad and promised a bunch of swag to make up for the problems (e.g. shirt , stickers, etc..) amazingly it never came. At least with Hobie if theres a probelm i can trek an hour south but i have the funny feeling I'll never have the need to other then to say hi and THANKS!!!!

Post subject: OK to Hobie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome "mg2969"!

Thanks for the story. I hope we can meet all of your expectations! Sounds like OK had a pretty rough time of that one... I know you will be very happy with the Hobie Mirage Revolution.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am REALLY happy with it.

Immediately after purchase, yesterday, I went down to Cabrillo beach in San Pedro and launched from the boatramp. Wanted to get it wet and do a quick run. Pedalled out to the Black Pearl, the famous ship from the pirates of the carribean. I guess they are filming a new movie in san pedro / Palos verdes this summer). Once i got out a 100 yds, i deployed the rudder and headed "full steam" ahead to the Black Pearl and the breakwater. With moderate chop on the water i was totally dry. I tried navigating, with "rudder hard over" (alright yes I was in the Navy), she turned on a dime. AMAZING !!!! It was all good until some light craft came though moving way to fast as i was heading into the wind. The Revo sliced through the wake effortlessly but going into the wind created a huge spray back which soaked me.