Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddle End Replacement
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a used Hobie and just noticed the person I bought it from gave me a paddle with 2 lefts. He had like 4 Hobie's so I'm sure he got them mixed up. Since I drove 3 hours one way to buy it I can't drive back to work out the paddle issue.

I noticed on Hobie's website there is a part for a paddle end. Anyone ever replace the end of a Hobie paddle? How does it come off?

For about $40 replacing the end would be less expensive than buying a whole new paddle.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buy a new better quality paddle from a kayak store, Hobie paddle are not the best i wouldn't spent extra money on. them.

Or contact the seller they may want to do something about it since they dont have the right half either

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

WAVERIDER wrote:
Buy a new better quality paddle from a kayak store, Hobie paddle are not the best i wouldn't spent extra money on. them.

Or contact the seller they may want to do something about it since they dont have the right half either

daft wrote:
Swfinatic wrote:
For about $40 replacing the end would be less expensive than buying a whole new paddle.

Amazon sells many kayak paddles for under $40 delivered. You may have to wrap the shaft with tape to fatten it enough to click into the holder, but that will work as a drip ring anyway. My Hobie paddle (4 piece for inflatables) has a reassuringly rigid and wide shaft, but way too flexible blades. I got 3 from amazon at $35 with stronger blades but thin bendy shafts. I got a perfectly performing carbon fiber paddle at a big discount, although the shaft is very skinny.

Keep the old half paddle as a spare. Single blade paddles are getting oddly popular for kayaks around here, although maybe they are practicing for OC1. Maybe wrap the open end with a wad of tape for grip.

Thanks guys. A new better paddle is an option but it's my last option since I don't use a paddle that much. I don't care for the cheaper paddles. Plus finding a 260 cm cheap paddle isn't easy. I did contact the original owner yesterday and he has since sold his remaining fleet of kayaks and bought a boat. I'm SOL there lol.

This is my first choice. http://www.sailandskiconnection.com/pro ... d=74010001

If I can't figure out how to get the paddle end off my current paddle I'll buy a new carbon fiber paddle and keep the original stored in the hull (PA14's have lots of storage room) as a spare.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The same thing happened to me and one other person I know and I think I figured out why. Hobie wasn't consistent with which shaft they inserted the left/right paddle blades into.

In this picture you can see two paddle ends with the same shaft types (with the 3 pin holes) but different paddle blades. This could also be due to generational changes in paddle manufacturers.