Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passport seat issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question for the admins: Is it a known problem about the seat lever latch on the Passport allowing the seat to pop loose if there is pressure placed on the front of the seat? (i.e. I scoot forward on the seat to access my fish cooler bag on the bow). It seems like the plastic just needs to be stiffer or have a metal reinforcement. I've had this happen every time I scooted forward. Not the end of the world, but kind of a hassle on the water to replace while your sitting in the seat. I think the Passport is an awesome kayak, especially compared to the first heavy beast (not Hobie) I had.

“Do not try and bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon.”

Last edited by spanishmack on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Passport seat issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Maybe a small block of stiff foam under the front of the seat to keep it from rocking forward would help. I know that we did stiffen that lever, but think it was before production started.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Maybe a small block of stiff foam under the front of the seat to keep it from rocking forward would help. I know that we did stiffen that lever, but think it was before production started.

Hmmm... Never considered something under the front bar. I'll give that a whirl. Thanks for the quick reply.

“Do not try and bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon.”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A little off point, but I use a short piece of a pool noodle (slit on one side to go over the bar) on the rear cross bar of my wife's Passport to change the seat angle for her. I also do the same on the back of the seat frame of my Revolution seat the adjust the height because the flip out legs are a pain to keep in place. I would imagine that a piece on the front bar of your Passport seat would work as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is what I ended up doing. I used a 1/2" PVC saddle connector, along with a 1/2" threaded connector and a soft plastic furniture leg, inserted into that for the bottom. I tried to come up with a way to keep from modifying the seat permanently, but I just couldn't keep the legs from sliding out, so I screwed them to the seat. Also, I went ahead and trimmed back most of the saddle, so I just had basically a peg, with a curved, cradle top.

Now, I've already posted this on the Passport FB group, and there's some nay-sayers stating Hobie folks told them the seat latch was meant to pop out and the feet I made, will hurt the deck. My feet are BARELY touching the deck when you are sitting in the seat, so the load is carried along the side rails, just as before, however, if you scoot forward and begin a lever action, the feet kick in to prevent the latch from popping up. I think this will be fine, as I'm only in that position long enough to get in my fish bag cooler on the bow, or stow my mirage drive in the bow section.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z4vUpaEosKzZK6uy5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:30 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

spanishmack wrote:
This is what I ended up doing. I used a 1/2" PVC saddle connector, along with a 1/2" threaded connector and a soft plastic furniture leg, inserted into that for the bottom. I screwed them to the seat. Also, I went ahead and trimmed back most of the saddle, so I just had basically a peg, with a curved, cradle top.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z4vUpaEosKzZK6uy5
Excellent solution! Thanks for sharing. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I created a nice set up with a old piece of vinyl flooring. I stainless hex screw. Hot glue and a pill bottle cap. It never pops out now. Also easy to screw and unscrew.

I did cut down the pill bottle cap some, after filling. I didn't need the whole cap.

See link for pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7T4KAJcsgrq6UscW7

Enjoy