Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Swfinatic wrote:
This is kind of getting away from the topic but with one modification the center hatch storage is actually awesome. I took pool noodles and inserted them in the hull across the kayak both under the seat and just behind where the pedal drive is molded in. This created an area for me to store stuff inside the round hatch. I used an old yoga mat and glued pieces of mat to the bottoms of my Plano 3600 tackle boxes to dampen the sound of me moving them around and to keep them from sliding around. I can now fit as many as 5 of these tackle boxes inside the hatch without the hatch bucket of course. And they don't go anywhere. Love it!

I do similar too...Also being able to see into hull by not using a bucket you spot any leaks sooner.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

staktup wrote:
My 2 rubber skegs that I glued on both sides of the stern keel on our R11 & 13 are going strong after 3-4 years. Lexel or Goop on one and 3M white marine adhesive on the other...

I paddle touring and rec boats quite decently and any winds over 8-10mph and these still haev trouble tracking straight, but do much better than without the skegs. I see there are removable skegs now- just adhere the track base to the hull and remove the fins as needed.

I have had these twin mini skegs on two hulls for last couple of years with 3m adhesive pads and still going good. One boat I only paddle so switched back it to smaller rudder which I can wedge down (bungie under steering handle). This helps with additional tracking when mini skegs alone are not enough. I use smaller rudder as it still allows a degree of manoeuvrability with paddle. Using large rudder made it extremely difficult to override with paddle. Think of mini skegs as being = half skeg, mini skegs + small rudder= full skeg equivalents.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Swfinatic wrote:
Thanks WAVERIDER. Makes sense. I did play around with it yesterday at home and learned what you're saying. I'll cleat the down cord in the future.

I bought the Revo 13 to replace a paddle kayak I had for fishing the marsh areas along the Texas coast chasing redfish. I really like how shallow this kayak floats. With me (at 210 lbs) and my gear including a fish bag with ice I was floating in 6" of water.

This is kind of getting away from the topic but with one modification the center hatch storage is actually awesome. I took pool noodles and inserted them in the hull across the kayak both under the seat and just behind where the pedal drive is molded in. This created an area for me to store stuff inside the round hatch. I used an old yoga mat and glued pieces of mat to the bottoms of my Plano 3600 tackle boxes to dampen the sound of me moving them around and to keep them from sliding around. I can now fit as many as 5 of these tackle boxes inside the hatch without the hatch bucket of course. And they don't go anywhere. Love it!

Nice idea, sounds better than keeping tangling cords inside to maintain my gear within reach, but sliding around and banging everywhere. I would just have to remember to remove stuff when flipping it or keeping lids on because cleaning up a tackle yard sale inside would be a PITA.