Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know this is a debate question for the ages. I'm debating between the 2020 outback and pro angler 12 360. Prices aside... I do inshore fishing for striped bass, lakes, and some rivers. I do a lot of fly fishing and I prefer to stand.

I like the pro angler seat and height and the storage. But the outback is lighter, easier to load one person, and looks like it has comparable stability?

Any opinions are welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you've heard this a lot but demo both of them. When you demo log some seat time in each one.

I fish out of PA14 (not 360) in fresh water and my wife has a 2020 Outback that I've also fished out of. Personally I think the seat in the Outback is more comfortable for me. I have a cushion I use in the PA which helps a ton but without the cushion my back is screaming after 3 to 4 hours. The PA is easier to stand up from a seated position if the seat is in the elevated position. I do really enjoy the built in rod holders in my PA as well as the deck space. The Outback is a wetter ride no doubt. In 1-2 foot waves you'll get wet in the Outback and stay dry (for the most part) in the PA. But the Outback sits lower to the water which can be an advantage when landing, releasing fish, etc. The Outback is very responsive but of course the 360 would have the edge there too. I do really like the 2 molded in vertical rod holders the Outback has on each side of the cockpit. Very handy! The biggest difference is weight and freeboard. When in wind you'll get pushed around more in the PA and it's obviously much heavier. For me I put Boonedox on all my kayaks so the weight isn't a big issue (unless I'm pulling the PA14 up a steep boat ramp lol).

I have no experience with the 360 drive but if it's anything like the response I've seen from the videos I've watched once you demo one you'll want it. I still say thoroughly demo both.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I run a PA 14 360 and have no experience with the Outback. I do follow a bunch of guys fishing the salt along the California coast. Their opinion is the Outback by far. For them it is about entry/exit in the surf and the ability to handle the boat in crappy conditions.

My biggest pro for the PA is the ability to stay in relatively the same place. I typically run slow and mark fish down to 100'. I can then use the 360 drive to move in any direction to stay on top of the fish. I have not perfected this yet and may miss the fish by 5-10' but I am learning quick and getting the margin down. The 360 drive comes in real handy when you need to move sideways or in a reverse angle. If I was using a 180 drive I would not have the same degree of accuracy.