Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the market for a used/ex-demo outback. I have two nearby dealers, one with a used 2020 orange papaya and the other with an ex-demo 2019 slate blue. The used 2020 has a turbo kick-up drive and the 2019 has a turbo MD180 drive. In terms of extras, the 2020 model comes with a set of beach wheels, has a berleypro bumper bro and the outback h rails installed. The 2019 model has nothing as it is an ex-demo. The price difference is $400 (Australian).

My thoughts are that even though I get a few extras with the 2020 model, it is slightly faded and the ex-demo is a blank canvas for me to work on. However, the major concern for me with the 2020 model are actually the kick-up fins. I am not so confident in their design. That being the fins eventually become loose after they fold back and then re-engage a certain number of times. I understand there are set screws that can be used to re-tighten the fins in their housing, however given enough time wouldn't plastic housing wear down so much that the set screws will no longer be effective? Also, how long can I expect the set screws themselves to last since they are made of nylon?

All in if I were to add wheels with the ex-demo unit the price difference becomes a little more than $100, so the major thing for me to consider is the difference in drives.

I guess I am just after some general advice about my situation and really anyone who has been in a similar situation or has experience with the kick-up fins that may be able to alleviate some of my concerns about them.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Durability should be fine given that any impact just kicks up the drive fins instead of transferring the impact to the drive and boat themselves. As far as how the kick up portion of the drive withstands impacts and use over time, I guess the jury is still out awaiting more experiences from users.