Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ST or ST Turbo fins?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a 2011 Adventure 16 which has the Mirage drive V2 with the standard rounded fins. I'm looking for more speed and more effort. I prefer to pedal slower with more force than faster with less force.

I see that there are two options to upgrade. I could go with the standard size but newer design squared off ST fins that are supposed to provide more effort and speed which is the more inexpensive option because I only need the fins. Or I could spend almost twice that and get the longer turbo fins kit with new masts which will provide even more speed and effort.

My question is is the turbo kit worth the extra money in terms of speed compared to the newer standard size design? I do venture into shallow water at times but I think I could just shorten my pedal stroke to keep the fins from extending as deep, correct? I also see that some people have problems with the hull cracking at the drive well. Is that more likely to happen with the with the turbo fins putting more stress on the drive well, or is it more likely the result of rock impacts, etc? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: ST or ST Turbo fins?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, the Turbo ST is well worth the extra expense of the masts. It will allow you to pedal slower and maintain similar speeds. I would not be too concerned about cracks as long as you aren't abusing it.

Post subject: Re: ST or ST Turbo fins?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

masonborowatersports wrote:
Yes, the Turbo ST is well worth the extra expense of the masts. It will allow you to pedal slower and maintain similar speeds. I would not be too concerned about cracks as long as you aren't abusing it.

I appreciate the advice. I know if I went with the regular ST fins I would probably windup getting the Turbo eventually anyway.