Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kickup Fin Set Screws
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in the market for a Hobie outback. My previous kayak is a 2017 PA14 so I have experience with the first generation MD180 drives. I have enquired with two nearby dealers. One has a used 2020 Hobie outback in papaya orange with kickup turbo fins and a set of beach wheels and the other dealer has an ex demo 2019 Hobie outback in slate blue with MD180 turbo drive (non-kickup) and no wheels come with this. The price difference is $400 (Australian). The 2020 used model of course has some extras from the previous owner such as a berleypro bumper bro, the hobie outback h rails installed.

Initially this seems like the 2020 used kayak is the better options, however it is slightly faded and even though it has a bumper bro on it, this covers a vinyl nose wrap which seems like it would be a pain to remove. Whereas the ex demo unit is not faded and has much less use and is a blank slate for me to work on (which may be a nice thing in terms of clarity of what I want to do with the kayak). Ironically though, the kickup fins are my main concern. Personally I do not see how they can last for a long time as they eventually loosen from their housing. I understand there are set screws that you can use to tighten the fins but over time I would assume the housing will become so worn from the fins folding back and going back into place that the set screw would not really do anything. The other thing that comes to mind is how durable are the set screws themselves? How long can I expect the set screws to last before they need to be changed?

I guess I am really after some advice about the situation and if anyone has any useful thoughts that I may have overlooked or any experience with the things I've mentioned then please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

mowzeh wrote:
the kickup fins are my main concern. Personally I do not see how they can last for a long time as they eventually loosen from their housing. I understand there are set screws that you can use to tighten the fins but over time I would assume the housing will become so worn from the fins folding back and going back into place that the set screw would not really do anything. The other thing that comes to mind is how durable are the set screws themselves? How long can I expect the set screws to last before they need to be changed?
IMO, kick up fins give a huge advantage in Mirage Drive capability. Fortunately the set screws have little to do with the operation of the fins. Even without them, the fins move to the forward position as soon as you resume pedaling. There is an advantage to having the forward fin come forward first so it is less likely to smack the rear fin -- this can be adjusted with set screws. They're also useful in stabilizing the fins when reversing. In both cases, you don't need much "set". Their only other function is to keep the fins from flopping around when not in use -- not a big deal.

I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. Overall, the KU 180 Mirage Drive will require fewer repairs and less maintenance while extending your capabilities. 8)