Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a couple of revo 11's. Great kayak, but the lake where I kayak has become overrun with weeds so as to make it almost impossible to use the pedals or the rudder. Does anyone know of a method to make the revo track better when not able to use the rudder or pedals?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

How about more sweep in the rudder, maybe bolting the current one backwards or replacing with scrap or buy from seaeagle or other (break off the top and drill)
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've never paddled an 11' Revolution, but I own a 13' Revolution, and it tracks quite nicely without the rudder. For example, last summer I paddled my Revolution on a four-day kayak trip on the John Day River in Oregon, which is too shallow to use a rudder or a Mirage Drive safely. The 13' Revolution tracks way better than any whitewater kayak, and I'm sure that the 11' Revolution also tracks way better than any whitewater kayak. KayakGator, the way to keep your kayak tracking in a straight line without a rudder is by making subtle adjustments to your direction with each paddle stroke. For example, if the bow of your kayak is drifting to the right of the course which you want to follow, with your next right paddle stroke, pull a bit harder or add a bit of a sweep to nudge the bow of your kayak back to the left until it's on course again. With practice these adjustments will become automatic.

Whitewater kayaks are designed to be very maneuverable, not to track well. For example, you can spin a whitewater kayak 180 degrees with one long gentle sweep stroke. If whitewater kayakers can paddle their kayaks in a straight line, you can certainly paddle an 11' Revolution in a straight line!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60698

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,

I've been away from the forums and saw that you had success using my cheap ass skeg hack. Mine are still going strong since 2017 with no signs of the adhesive coming off. I hope everyone can benefit from this simple solution- especially Hobie. I have more paddling friends who don't use pedals and sometimes I like to paddle myself so I am not sure why Hobie can't make their hulls a bit more paddle friendly re: tracking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added glued a sked onto my cassette and that improved the tracking a lot. easy to pull it out and insert the drive.