Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased 2 Hobie Compass kayaks, and apparently my wonderful dealer didn't install the rudders for some reason. I think I have figured out how things should work. You just install the rudder up through the hole and there is a slot on the black disk thing on top it should fit into. Then you install a screw that attaches the disk to the rudder. However, that disk thing is NOT centered and I can't get it centered. I can't get the top of the rudder into the slot on the disk because the slot is in the center, but the disk won't center (because of the little lines that go to the steering thing).

Do I just push really hard and hope nothing breaks? Surely I don't have to loosen the wires and retune the steering on a brand new kayak. I figured someday I would have to mess with the steering, but not on the day I brought it home.

My excitement over my new kayaks is gone. This is a pain in the butt.

I had a picture that shows how the disk on the top isn't centered, but I can't figure out how to post a picture.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well. I figured it out. It was very simple except getting that black disk on the top centered. I ended up turning the steering all the way to one side and was able to force the rudder into the slot and then turned the rudder back to the center slowly and then screwed it in. I am not sure I tightened the screw quite completely because I didn't want to strip it. I checked my Hobie Compass I bought a couple of months ago (in which the dealer did install the rudder - my son wanted a blue one and I had to drive pretty far to get it), and the screw is a little more flush. I'll probably tighten it a little more when I get a chance.

It appears to work fine. The steering thing is a little tighter than I expected (just turning it from standing beside the kayak), but it seems like the rudder is centered when the steering thing is centered and it moves back and forth (and the rudder can go up and down with the pull string). So I think it is all working.

I still think the dealer should have installed the rudder.