Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on crack repair
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2021 revolution 11 that has developed a crack below a screw in the seat well. Pictures below showing the crack and its location. It is just forward of the port side seat front support bracket. The hull appears to be rather thin right there and it looks like maybe the cheek block that is inside the hull and held by that screw pulled the crack open. I purchased this kayak from Austin Canoe and Kayak and they went out of business right after I started a warranty claim. The claim is approved for repair but the next closest dealer is not being responsive so I am considering attempting the repair myself. I’ve never welded plastic before, but I am good with things like this so I think I could practice a little on something else to get the technique. What I’m hoping someone can help me with is the strategy for this repair. Should it be to build up thickness on the exterior of the hull to reinforce this area? From the pictures can anyone tell how likely a repair here is to hold in the long run?

Thanks for your advice!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d2XVJi ... ICA-bi78-Q

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The first thing you should do is to drill a small hole at the end of each crack, to keep the cracks from getting longer. Currently all of the stress created by the crack is focused in a small area around the tip of the crack. If you drill a hole there, the stress will be spread out around the circumference of the hole, and the crack won't go past the hole.

You an buy inexpensive plastic welders on line, but I prefer the Hobie Welder Pro plastic welder, because it has a hole in its tip for a plastic welding rod, so you can melt the rod and the hull at the same time, and blend the melted plastic together better. The Welder Pro has good instructions for plastic welding. I'd just melt new plastic into the entire area around the bolt hole, and then drill a new hole.

You can buy plastic welding rods on line. Your kayak will look better if you can buy welding rods which match the color of your kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Assuming Hobie has authorized the repair under warranty, you might consider using one of two Certified Warranty Service Centers here in Texas: Mariner in Dallas or Fin Factory in Corpus. I realize that may be a long haul for you, depending on where you live. But that might factor into consideration if you have further problems versus a DIY repair.