Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi.
I am looking for a pfd that can be functional, accommodate a beer belly and boobs on a low rider seat like the passport, and still give you some freedom of movement - Is there such a pfd?

The better female pfd for a high backed seat I bought scrunches up towards my chin when I get going.

While I find the profile of an auto/manual inflatable appealing, I think? I want the security of a more traditional vest as I often go solo

Any suggestions? (specific brand names appreciated) - Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your Hobie dealer may have a curated selection that you can try on. I have a crazy idea from a paddletv youtube video where he tried out the cheapest kayak equipment from (Canadian) walmart. He may have skipped that old type that is only in front of you, but he got an all around vest which he hated. It had a huge diameter around the waist (xxl?) and I think it actually could not be tightened. Instead it was held on with crotch (and shoulder) straps.

Crotch straps could be left loose to just the point they prevent ride up. There must be dozens of posts here on pfd (topic deleted?) praising crotch straps. Often rescuers pick up victims by their vest and they slip out due to no crotch or waist grip. I couldn't find that vest in the first few pages of US version of walmart web page.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! The crotch strap does make sense. I couldn't find anything specific tho in the archives
so if anyone else has recommendations it would be much appreciated