Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I first got my Outback, I quickly grew tired of flipping it on its side to use the scupper cart and sold it, picking up the original C-tug with the 'Sandtrakz' wheels as a replacement.

From the start it took a bit of trial and error to learn how to properly position the C-Tug and get it so that I wasn't dragging the wheels, and also so that the kayak itself didn't just slide off as soon as the wheels hit any sort of resistance. Finally - and maybe this was just user error - but those SandTrakz wheels never did well in soft sand for me, and they got pretty warped after only a season of use

Because of those issues, I planned on installing the Wheel-Eez balloon Wheels to solve my traction problems. I had also previously zip-tied two PVC pipes to the flat pads in an attempt to create a more snug fit and while that did work for a while, sometimes the zip ties would break. It wasn't a perfect solution.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I saw C-Tug came out with this new 'R' version, which has rails as opposed to flat pads. More or less a permanent version of the PVC mod and a much better fit for Hobie kayaks.

The Wheel-Eez mod itself was very easy, and they have an instructional video on youtube that tells you what to do. Honestly, you could probably replicate this for cheaper with a trip to the hardware store and just buying the correct size wheels from Wheel-Eez or taking them off the scupper cart if you have them.

Combining these two mods, you have yourself a pretty badass little kayak cart. I was a bit worried about the capacity of the 24" wheels with the Outback, but they do just fine and even hop curbs no problem.

That same maneuver would've probably resulted in the kayak falling off if I had it on the original C-Tug pads. Those green pads grip really well and I was able to drag my Compass without the straps through my uneven backyard through various inclines & declines, with the kayak remaining planted.

It also fits nicely into the back of my Compass and I'm sure it'll fit even better in the Outback:

Next up is to fix that stupid kickstand....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! I really like that solution. That is the best of both worlds.

The only things I like about my Trax 2-30 are the tires and how securely it attaches to my kayak using the scuppers. But trying to get it fitted and unfitted to a fully loaded tandem Oasis is no joy. And, of course, there is only one mounting position when sometimes it would be handy to have the cart a little fore or aft of the scuppers based on load and terrain.

The C-Tug with SandTrakz is much easier to fit and unfit to my Oasis but never feels securely attached, doesn't always track straight due to twisting, and is hard to get centered. Though the wheels have held up so far they do not inspire confidence.

Combining the C-Tug frame with the new rails and Trax tires would solve all my transport issues except that stupid kickstand and I look forward to your improved solution for that.

Peter