Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie is usually a major exhibitor at ICAST. Many new kayaks (like Passport R models last year) and features (like 360 drive in 2019) were first revealed at ICAST. The show is July 11-14 this year. Hobie, other than Hobie Eyewear, does not currently show up in the list of exhibitors. This seems odd given the explosive growth in kayak fishing and Hobie's dominance with the Pro Angler. Makes me wonder if this will be another year with very few model updates and changes.

Hobie is also missing from the current list of Exhibitors for Surf Expo in Orlando September 7-9.

Hobie is listed as an exhibitor for the Paddle Sports Show in France September 27-29. Maybe this is where any model changes will be introduced.

Hobia Asia Pacific is listed as an exhibitor for the Sydney International Boat Show August 3-6.

Peter

NOTE: Original post updated June 26 to add Surf Expo and Paddle Sports Show status.
NOTE: Original post updated July 28 to add Sydney International Boat Show status.

Last edited by plfinch on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless I’ve missed something, it doesn’t look like Hobie are attending the Sydney International Boat Show this year either. They are not listed under Hobie in the exhibitors list.
For as long as I can remember Hobie have had a major stand at SIBS and a large fleet available for use in the demo pool.
I thought Hobie Aus was separate to Hobie US but it looks like the takeover has affected us down under as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The once active Hobie youtube channel @HobieOfficial last posted content 10 months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I’m pleased that Hobie are now showing in the exhibitors list and on water demo’s for the Sydney International Boat Show. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is something really wrong with Hobie. It act and smells like a failing company, but aren't a failing company.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie was sold to a private equity group in 2021.

I'm surprised they haven't showed up in new distribution channels. During the pandemic, they had supply issues. I wonder where that stands today. If they can't amp up production, that may explain the lack of additional distribution channels. Then again, the price of a Hobie might be limiting too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie has joined the new national Paddlesport Manufacturer (soon including retail) Association

https://paddlingmag.com/paddling-business/paddlesports-trade-coalition/

Quote:
includes a broad center of influential brands. Hobie, NRS and Johnson Outdoors are all represented on the interim board.

Quote:
Priorites included working together to make the sport more accessible and inviting, and to monitor and engage in federal and state legislation affecting paddlesports. There was talk of real cooperation on sales data, electronic ordering tools, standardized preseason schedules, and perhaps even shared shipping. The need for a trade show by and for paddlesports—or at least one better serving the industry’s needs—was near the top of everyone’s list.

https://www.paddlesportstradecoalition.org/home

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Day 2 of The Paddle Sports Show in Strasbourg France has concluded with no announcements or press releases from Hobie on new models or changes for 2024.