Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Several years ago, Hobie changed the design/vendor for the fiberglass paddles. Until a few years ago, I never had a paddle break. Now, I have had three within the past year. They were all nearly new paddles and not abused. I decided to take a few pictures and document the changes here for the community. I am hopeful that Hobie sees that the reduced cost paddles are leading to increased warranty costs and they will go back to the previous design.

The main issue is the length of engagement between the male and female shafts. It used to be over 5 inches, but the most recent design cut it down to a little over 3 inches. This is just not enough length. When a moment is applied (which happens with every paddle stroke), it can split the thin wall of the female side of the paddle.

In addition to the reduction in engagement length, the new paddle is smaller diameter and thinner walled as well, although not by much.

Dimensions: Old New
Paddle Engagement 5.125" 3.1875"
Outer diameter: 1.172" 1.139"
Wall thickness (female) .053" .050"
Wall thickness (male) .066" .055"

Here are pics showing the differences. Hobie, please do something about this. I rarely use my paddle, but when I do, I would like to be confident it won't break.

New paddle:

Old paddle:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the heads up. I have only used my new Hobie paddle twice, and it seemed nice and stiff compared to my old Hobie one with floppy blades. Mine may have more/different sections, to fit in the inflatable's pack bag. If my shaft broke I could still paddle, but not if both blades broke off.

I have a ton of paddles but most have shafts too narrow to click into the Hobie cradles. I hate aluminum ones which bend and stay bent with use. I have a heavy fiberglass one, but I found heaven in the form of a high end all carbon end-of-the-year closeout with cosmetic issues for pennies. That is just ecstasy to use, with it's energy storing twang at end of strokes and surreal lightness.

Several online sources have fall closeouts, and the 4 piece ones aren't unreasonable to ship. It was a blessing that bad paddles pushed me out of my frugal and stoic stance of entitlement. Tape wrap may be needed to fatten the shaft for cradle and fingers. The blades and all have stiffly stood up to mammoth breaking waves. Cosmetic issues vanished with use.