Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For years my wife and I have trailered our kayaks behind our truck camper. We recently switched to a travel trailer and need a way to transport my Outback and my wife's Passport. The vehicle is a F350 dually crew cab, no topper, and currently no rack. They both have 34" beams and both seem to weigh more than some of the J style kayak carriers are rated for. I feel like we need to be able to load them from the rear. The problem is bars that are wide enough to accommodate the 68" combined width. I believe with wide enough bars we could load and carry them keel down in some type of saddle if the saddles were put close to the end of the bars on each side. Some of the boat would stick out past the end of the bar, but since it's a dually, wouldn't be wider than the truck, or even close to it. J style carriers that were rated for the weight wouldn't require wider bars. I believe I could mount a roller in the center of the rear bar and get each kayak up onto the center of the bars and then get in the truck and lift it into the J brackets. I've thought about a contractor type rack with the extension that goes over the cab. It seems like the extension might be good for helping secure the bow of the kayaks. Of course I've talked to folks that haul kayaks on things like the Tracone bars and strap them down good and don't use a bow line to the front bumper. I know all of the manufacturers recommend bow and stear lines.

Any advice or thoughts would be most appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Two wide and long kayaks on a bed rack is a problem. J-rack kayak carriers kinda seem the only way but the rig seems tall. Or, attach six foot 2x4 boards (maybe, 6 foot aluminum extrusions 1x4 for a professional look) on top of the bed rack's bars to extend them far enough for upside down side by side loading.

Or, add a iTrek 9 inflatable as it travels easier in its backpack. You could then load one of your kayaks on the rack and the iTrek in the camper. You'll be more flexible, kayak wise. The cross stitch flat inflatable hulls are very capable and solid. Eventually you will wind up with two iTrek 9's for travel.