Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Trying to install 2 and 1/2" wide transducer behind mast tube. Bottom of hull curves enough to leave 1/8" gap under center of transducer. Does anybody know if it would be possible to use slow setting metal set to make a level surface, then install transducer with marine goop? I hate to have 1/8" of goop under center of transducer. Any better options out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:02 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

When installing transducers in kayaks I will make a foam rubber mount base. I'll cut out a square piece of the foam then trace the outline of the transducer on top. Make the cut out a little smaller then the actual transducer so when you put it in, it fits snug.

Rough up the inside of the yak where you want to mount it with some 100 grit or so then wipe with alcohol so clean up sanding dust.

I use 5200 slow cure to 'glue' the mount to the yak and will put a brick on the foam to sit overnight. Fast cure seems to trap more bubbles and not hold quite as well.

Put a fair amount of silicone grease in the foam cut out and then push the transducer in. You can easily take your transducer out with this set up.

If you want to 'epoxy' the thing in place jsut make sure there aren't any bubble in the epoxy when you push the transducer in. As long as the transducer is shooting through a solid material it will work. You might try G-Flex epoxy from West System.

The amount of signal sensitivity lost by shooting through the epoxy and hull is negligible.

Jay
KO Sailing
281-867-8200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Eagle Cuda 242 and could never master the art of gooping the puck to the inside of the yak. I have a different method.

Take some high density foam (like from packing) about 2 -3 in thick
Trace and cutout a spot for the puck, make the hole slighty smaller
(for a snug fit)

Goop the foam in place, try to make it watertight
When ready to use, wedge puck into foam, add 1/2 cup of water

***NOTE - USE THE WATER FROM WHERE YOUR FISHING

Some folks have tried using bottled water in the salt, different densities, gets wacky readings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The method of mounting the transducer most often used in New England is the same as far as the use of closed cell foam as a retainer. Use packing material such as that you received with your computer, cut a hole so that the transducer fits snugly, cut a small slot on one side(to be explained below). Shape one end to fit the bottom of the yak. Glue this foam plug (txducer container) to the bottom of the yak with Marine Goop or Lexel. Make a foam cap the size of the hole.Take a small pan and melt about two or three table spoons of Vaseline till it is all liquid. Pour the Vaseline into the foam plug and slowly insert the txducer till it bottoms out. The extra Vaseline will come up the slot ensuring that the txducer is fully encased with no bubbles. Place the foam cap on the hole. I like to put a plastic tie wrap on the transducer to be able to pull it later if necessary.
Works like gang busters. No bubbles no waiting for the glue to dry under the ducer.
Storm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:58 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Call you dealer and get a Hobie Fish Finder install kit. Everything you need to install the transducer and instructions! Includes the battery pack for power, dry bay for the batteries, foam block, goop, I may be forgetting something too......

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Metal set?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't know this glue? but if it's like say JB weld, I wouldn't use it to level the hull for the transducer. I think the tranny won't shoot through it at all.
Laying a big goob of silicon is not dificult. How I've done it on my OB hull is to open a fresh tube, I don't use the extender tip, just right out of the tub. Mark the location you want to put the transducer.
Start your "goob" by laying a thick continous line, a little longer than the length of the transducer, then and in a continous movement, NOT raising the tip of tube up or out of the line of silicon, bring it back along the last line laid, and keep doing this back & forth until your silicon pad is large enough for the transducer.
Inspect your silicon pad for any signs of air, if you see any air bubbles poke them with pin, tooth pic something to release the air. After thats done, you have a few minutes to play with befor the silicon starts to set.
Carefully aligh the transducer then place the transducer into the silicon and press it down into the goo till it touches the hull. Attempt to keep transducer somewhat level.
I use duct tape to hold the transducer alignment firm, and then find a weight to place on the transducer to hold it down.
Sonuds like a lot, but really only takes a few minutes to accomplish.

Troy