Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
during the summer of 1983. Over that winter Dr Baeur bought a H18Magnum w/ Blue Hawaii Sails

Yep, that would be a 1984 model year H18.

The "Magnum" was discontinued once the SX wings came out, but may have lingered in dealers inventories for a bit. Just so we understand the difference in wing style...

From the Sailing FAQ

The Hobie 18 has been built in many configurations since its introduction. Follows is the "short" history of the differences.

- Hobie 18 Standard... clear anodized aluminum.

- Hobie 18 SE... Black anodized aluminum, color tramp and sails.

- Magnum Wings... welded frame, length of tramp area.

- Hobie 18 Magnum... add (welded frame) "Magnum" wings (1984-85 ish).

- Hobie 18 Formula... made in Europe. 1 1/2' taller mast, Mylar main and jib.

- Hobie 18 Formula... Made in the US. Standard Hobie 18 with white powder coated aluminum.

- SX Wings... Riveted wing assembly, long seat ring oval. Seat extends forward of the front x bar and aft of the rear, nearly to the transom.

- Hobie 18 SX... Euro Formula design rig with US made SX (long ring) wings.

- Formula 18 (F18) Design class built to a "formula" made by many manufacturers. Hobie Tiger, Narca F18, Inter 18, Capricorn, Dart Hawk, Cirrus, Flyer, Twister

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, Dr Baeur's boat and mine were/are H18's, black anodized, delivered w/ Blue Hawaii Sails, origonal design/production "EPO" rudders, old style H18 Rudder castings and Magnum" wings (in black anodization) I upgraded the rudder castings when Hobie was running the "Up-Grade" promotion ($200.00???? or maybe it was $110.00 ????)

Nows here's a interesting difference between Dr Baeur's Magnum wings and mine .... mine have the additional crossbrace welded in, between the curved "Big" tube and the smaller "straight" tube. I've never been able to figure out when (in production) that additional support brace was added. But I've had two friends who's wings didn't have that additional brace and the straight tube failed and the wing collapsed .... one of the boats was lost because of it and never recovered (CG removed the crew from the boat and abandoned the boat to it's fate)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

Looking to define the span that the Magnum was offered... and when the diagonal strut on the Magnum may have started. Earliest drawings of the Magnum Wing look to be fall of 1982. The frame drawing is August 1983 (1984 model year). No strut. Looks like a notation in early 1986 that the strut was added.

This is me sailing the Magnum 18 on a photo shoot down in Mexico... 1986 I think. This boat had the diagonal strut. There was a Hotline article about this trip "Burning Daylight". I don't have the copy here to confirm the dates.

The 21SE was shown in the same brochure with the new longer wing seat that was later used for the SX seat.

...and me sailing the SX with a Chute in the spring of 1989 off Oceanside harbor. John Wilson is my crew here (Hobie Owner, Tony Wilson's son) There are drawings dated fall of 1988, so the SX wing was up and running by 1988-89 (89 Model year).

Funny thing I found... we were calling the SX Wings the "Super Magnum" during the design stage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ahh!! the good ol blue vynil tramps, now those were good sellers I know that I´ve gone through two sets myself, nice and cool dry too. What happened to the good old days ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt,
I love the pics,and all the info was great.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting thread for sure...
I have one of those orignal blue tramps on my stock '88 H18 that also came with EPOv1 rudders and the casting upgrades OEM. Is it still in super shape, albeit faded to a pale baby blue now and had to replace rotted hiking straps.

Shucks, if the blue mesh matches the blue tramp. Perhaps you can sew you own wing seats?

Harry, I first sailed a rented H16 off Ship Bottom in 1977, bought my first H16 in '79 (cranford). Blue Hulls, blue tramp, solid cobalt blue sails, clear anodizing. You rememer those days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

High Matt and Guys,

I enjoyed the pics and thanks Matt for taking the time to do a little research. It looks like my dates I remembered are approximently correct .... I saw Magnum wings purchased after I had recieved mine that did not have the cross strut but I believe they where "inventory in stock" .... I know mine where fresh from the factory as my friend had purchased the dealer's last set in stock (at a fantastic 'Going out of business sale' price) and mine were "ordered" and I had to wait for them to come from California and pay a "bit" more ...

Did you notice the rudder castings on the H18 in Mexico ????

And I'm trying to ignor the comments on the tramps that I totally agree w/ .... before I get ranting .....

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ommmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ommmmmmmmmm ... take slow deep breaths Harry ..... Ommmmmmmmm, Ommmmmmmmmm .........

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Harry Murphey wrote:
Did you notice the rudder castings on the H18 in Mexico ????

We went to the current castings that year. I believe these were them. You can just make out the adjuster screw in the top casting in that photo.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris/Older Bowman,

Quess where I was this weekend???? Just down the island from Ship Bottom in Spray Beach at the Spray Beach Yacht Club. We had 10 H18's there racing in the "Points Regatta" (if you count me and my DNSs). LBI hasn't changed .... if anything it feels narrower ....

Another subject: Have you ever done the 'Around Long Island Race'???? The owner of the 43' Corsair I race on in the Chesapeake is taking the boat north to try that race and I don't know anything about it.

Contact me at: http://[email protected]

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got the non-brace Magnum wings (84?) on my 20; the SX wings would be nice to sit further forward in light air... Seem to be holding up fairly well given that they are now 25 years old! I do have a crack in one tube, but riveted an aluminum strip across the two tubes (higher than the factory strap) to help it hold together.

Harry, not to sidetrack your rant, but discussion of "class legal" and wings is a contradiction; wings are not class legal for the IHCA/NAHCA H18 (but you know that).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
but discussion of "class legal" and wings is a contradiction; wings are not class legal for the IHCA/NAHCA H18 (but you know that).

Well, yes and no.

Technically, wings are not allowed when racing in the "standard" H18 class. However, wings are allowed (actually required) when sailing in the H18 Magnum or in the SX18 class. And all three of these classes are recognized by the IHCA (check out the IHCA rule book).

However, since the standard H18 is by far the most common configuration of the 18 raced, that's pretty much what the class has evolved to. But, if a group of H18 Magnums or SX18s showed up to a regatta, they would get to sail their own class (most likely all the 18s would be started together but scored separately).

In my area we occasionally get a Magnum or SX show up to a regatta and they all get scored together under the same class. Since these are typically the beginners or casual racers, none of the regulars worries about the wings (we're just happy to have another boat on the course). As the new sailors come out more often and become competetive within the fleet, they pretty much figure out that they should shed the wings and race standard.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I stand corrected.

I saw on the HC20 site that there is now a second H20M in the US. He's using the later Magnum wings with the brace.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Harry, I sent you an email last week in reply to your post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Are the SX wings still made or any wings for that matter?
Can i get wings for an 18 still or no?

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Admin

No wings are currently made for Hobie 18s.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next