Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sent you a PM but maybe the info would be helpful to others as well so I'll post here.

My boat is stored on the beach. I was hoping to do the repair this week for the weekend but it looks like theres rain in the forecast for some days.

My question, does the repair need to sit in 48 hours of no rain completely dry as possible perfect conditions, or can it get its initial "setting" done within a few hours and afterward conditions are not as important? Its supposed to rain 24 hours after I was going to do the repair, and I'm not sure how that may impact the curing process.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rain won't really have much impact. You don't want water to get into the core, so I'd wait to drill the holes until you're ready to do the full repair, but once you're done injecting, rain shouldn't really be an issue. The epoxy initially cures via an exothermic reaction (releases heat as it cures), so to be safe I'd try to do the repair when you've got a few hours rain free... I doubt the rain could impact the curing, but still. The epoxy will begin to solidify in about 20 mins, and will be pretty much solid after an hour or two. The full cure takes around 10-15 hours, but after an hour or two I think you'd be perfectly fine if it got rained on.

https://www.westsystem.com/hardener-selection-guide/

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Really great link with helpful information. The website for west systems is a little tricky to navigate. Thanks for all your help. My H16 will be injected later this week!