Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapeze wires
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everybody,
I have a 90's Hobie 18(no wings, Made in Usa) and i write from Italy, so excuse me for my english.
I have a problem, my trapeze handles broked because they were old and the sun crystallized them. Replacing them is not possible so i have to buy 4new complete wires for approximately 180$.. So i found the spare cable in a nautical shop but i don't know if the diameter is correct..
The wire is a 1x19 wires pvc coated but they have many diameters. Can u help me please?
Thank u all!

Post subject: Re: Trapeze wires
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The trap wires are 3/32" diameter.

However, it is possible to make replacement handles using 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe. Cut the pipe to about 5" long. Then use a hack saw to cut a slot in the middle of the pipe (this will be your trap handle). The slot should pass only 1/2 way through the pipe/handle. Now you can slip the pipe/handle over the trap wire. Then find a strip of hard wood about 3/16" or 1/4" thick. Cut the height of the wood so it can be inserted into the pipe/handle and pass behind the trap wire. This will retain the handle onto the wire and provide added support to the handle. Last, use a screw to hold the piece of wood in place in the pipe/handle.

We did this on our Hobie 20 when all the original trap handles broke and it worked very well. Much cheaper than replacing the wires.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

my local hobie dealer has a kit to replace the handles. it is some sort of 2 piece thing. he says it will hold as much as. and for as long as the original handles. these attach to current wires.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for the replyes! In italy they don't sell 2 pieces handles so i Will follow srm 's advice for now and then replace the cables when Ruinas!
See you soon!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Having seen what top boats are doing now days, I would stay away from SS wires. Today they are using spectra rope. So much nicer.

Having just finished Tanzacat, I learnt ...... replace your rope on an annual basis (from bungee to ring). We lost two trapeze hooks because of this.

Regarding handles and hooks, I replaced one lost trapeze hook with one of the new European Hobie hooks. Loved it because it is big and so easy and quick to hook into and also for those that like a handle ... its big.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got a picture or link of the European hooks Richard?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

if i not mistaken, i believe these are sideways ovals. it gives solid hand grip for both hands. (rather than one hand on the other), if needed. or 2 level grip for one hand