Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been sailing for a while now. I have a Hobie 18, 1982 and have aquired a "righting frame" from the previous owner. Trouble is I can't figure out how to mount the thing. It is a square aluminium frame with two hinged brackets on the outer two corners. It would fold out to about the width of the boat. The form, angle and curvature of the stainless steel brackets fit perfectly on the AFT crossbeam, but not on the front. I have tried all variations but on the front crossbeam but the frame can not be swung out more than about 40 degrees because it hits on the dolphinstriker. Even if I could mount it there, I would have to rivet or bolt it onto the beam over the tramp fabric which can't be right. If I figure out how to upload a photo maybe someone could enlighten me. Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Only way I know of to upload photos is to first upload them to a site such as imgur, then hit the image button while drafting a post. Place the url of the photo (must end in ".jpg") in between the two [/img] icons. Here is an example url of a picture of my boat on imgur.... http://i.imgur.com/KkFAElb.jpg

If there is a better way, someone will chime in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey thanks, I hope this works. Here is a pic of the frame positioned on the AFT beam. The only place it seems to fit. Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Guessing there is a reason the previous owner never mounted it. Without seeing the hinge/mounting hardware not sure how he was planning on mounting it. Personally not knowing the grade and thickness of the aluminum used I would bolt the frame to something like a telephone pole and then walk out to the end to make sure it doesn't bend down from the weight. It would suck to get it mounted and the first time you used it the frame bent down and you couldn't get the frame back between the hulls. I have seen a lot of righting systems but this is a new one.

2001 H18 w/SX wings & spinnaker #16740 (purchased new)
1989 H18 w/SX wings #14565 (purchased new, sold 2000)
Would buy another if Hobie would build it.

Last edited by NeubaurRL on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NeubaurRL wrote:
Personally not knowing the grade and thickness of the aluminum used I would bolt the frame to something like a telephone pole and then walk out to the end to make sure it doesn't bend down from the weight. It would suck to get it mounted and the first time you used it the frame bent down and you couldn't get the frame back between the hulls.

I agree, especially considering there is no cross bracing, I would say the design is "suspect." I wouldn't be surprised if the thing did in fact bend when someone stood out on the end to right the boat. The only other similar system that I have seen (somewhere on youtube), I recall it was cross braced which would make it substantially stronger than this design.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Front crossbar or nothing. That much leverage on the back crossbar will risk cracking the hulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with all the above comments. Looks like it was either designed for a different boat, or something that somebody built themselves. I want to say I've seen something similar with cross bracing as well, but I can't remember where. I'd strongly consider adding in cross bracing, or at least running some numbers to figure out the stresses on it. If it's thin square tubing, I wouldn't really trust it. I agree that the mounting difficulty is likely the reason it was never installed, and that the forward crossbar is a much more suitable mounting point.

To be honest, though, I don't see the need for such a contraption. If you're sailing with somebody most of/all of the time, 300 lbs body weight and a righting line is all you need. If you're sailing solo and/or can't meet the weight, I'd make a righting pole. There are a number of designs on this forum and thebeachcats.com, most of which are easier to stow, cheap to build and don't require any permanent modification to the boat.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Especially being that it is an 18, and thus having centerboards, I would just make a simple righting stick that sits on the centerboards when in use. I have seen simple 2x8 or similar righting...poles? Or boards? Whatever they are called, they look super easy to make and use...

Ah, here it is...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTRS5pTZGV4

Probably a safer and easier than dealing with the frame you have...possibly lighter too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep! That righting pole design is probably one of the most common and simplest to make and use, but they're all along those lines.

gcrozier, after watching the video you posted, the next recommended video was the video of the fold out frame with cross bracing, similar to what martin has. It's possible that the righting frame was originally intended for a different boat, and was in the process of being retrofitted for the H18. Or Perhaps the owner had it/bought it, realized it wouldn't work, and just decided to offload it with whomever he could sell the boat to, thinking that you'd either make it work or toss it.

Here's the video of the fold out righting frame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm5FIkmx8Ao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys, thanks for you ideas. I totally agree now that I've looked at the thing a bit closer. I'll stick to taking out a heavier crew or setting up a righting pole. I have a righting bag also which I'll set up. We have some pretty squallay conditions here especially the westerlies so it can get "exciting" at times.