Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just looking for the smartest place to carry a righting bag. It came with my new boat. 1985 red glue Magnum with no cracks or soft spots. Tie it under the tramp? Certainly not put it in a hull. That won't work. And where do I tie it off when using it?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I kept mine folded up and tucked into a trampoline pocket. I tried using it a few times, but it never seemed very useful. I just slung the line over my shoulder and held onto it while holding the righting line and leaning back, but it was a pain to try and lean straight back and make sure the bag is hoisted clear of the water (otherwise it isn't helping you at all), hold onto the righting line and the righting bag line. I don't bother with it anymore, I just make sure that I've got enough weight with my crew to right the boat, or else I make sure that there are boats in the area that can give me a hand with righting it. One of these days I'll try and build a solo-righting pole.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
I tried using it a few times, but it never seemed very useful. I just slung the line over my shoulder and held onto it while holding the righting line and leaning back, but it was a pain to try and lean straight back and make sure the bag is hoisted clear of the water (otherwise it isn't helping you at all), hold onto the righting line and the righting bag lin

When I approached my local hobie dealer wanting a righting bag, he instructed me NOT to buy it for exactly the reason quoted above. He said when he grew up, he would solo right his hobie 18 frequently, and he probably weighed around 180lbs. He said that instead of the righting bag, he would take a backpack and put a durable trash bag in it. He would tie it to the dolphin striker. When he would capsize, he would take the bag and backpack, fill them with water, and wear the backpack on his belly, then proceed righting the boat normally. Worked like a charm he said.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Turns out the bag leaks like a (censored). No holes. Water just pours out of the seams so fast I didn't get a chance to practice with the bag. I really wanted to see if I could solo right with it. My friend enjoyed her swim as I frustratingly tried to use this sieve of a bag. Can I seal the seams? Maybe use Parafin wax or something...