Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought a 1979 hobie 18 last year that was kept inside most of its life. I ended up sailing it last summer after just basically rigging the boat and tossing it in the water. I was wondering if someone could tell me whether or not it would be worth taking apart the tramp, crossbars, etc before I start sailing again and inspecting everything. As far as I know the tramp could have been on since the 80s but the boat seemed perfectly solid. I noticed a slight creaking noise near the front crossbar my last few times out and that got me wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

at that age, ( i have an 83 and 78) it is worth taking it apart to check for wear and and disintegration under the cross bars(I hear "beach boats" get sand in here). i also, (being in Wisconsin) take the tramp off for the winter. it needs tightening then after a few exposures to the sun. You prob have a Great boat, but it is up to you to inspect as deep as you want to go. kreeking noise would prob go away just by tightening every nut and bolt you can find. hobie ass'y manual would help here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Sesaero,
Welcome to the Hobie way of life. You’ll love your H18.
I would pull it apart. I bought a late 1990’s H18 and it had heaps of corrosion under the beams. If you visit my boats own Facebook page there are many different photo albums with tips and tricks for your H18. There is one photo album with photos of the under sides of my beams at the beam well. It was an interesting exercise.

Be sure to use plenty of grease on the beam bolts including both the thread and the shank and under any washers. Basically the whole bolt and you can never use too much grease. The grease serves two purposes, for ease of the thread in the nuts and captive nuts but to also provide a protection layer between the stainless steel and alloy.

I would also pull the boom apart and inspect the outhaul car. It is often neglected. The half balls should have some grease applied to the axles and faces. The shockcord should also be fully functional and tight.

Trampolines are generally predictable. They will last for ever or fall apart after two sailing days. Nothing in between. Just keep it nice and tight. I use a handle & hook arrangement to tighten my trampoline so it is drum tight. It is best to tighten it immediately after sailing, while it is still wet.

The mast base half moon should also be greased and twisting freely otherwise the rotating mast will be noisy and hard to rotate during tacks and gybes.

Please check out both the Facebook page and website in my email footer for great tips and trick and photos and videos.

Boat name: 18@heart
http://www.hobie18.fun
https://www.facebook.com/Hobie18catamaran/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree as well - it’s worth taking the boat apart. The front and rear crossbars can develop pretty severe corrosion at the inboard mounting bolt locations and you won’t be able to see that corrosion with the boat assembled until it’s too late. Also keep an eye on the area around the mast step/dolphin striker post. The front crossbars have a tendency to develop cracks around the rivet/post holes. Make sure the mast step is securely riveted to the crossbar and that the dolphin striker is tight. My guess would be the creaking sound is related to the mast step in some way. Either the step is loose, or something is rubbing between the mast base and the mast step as the mast rotates from side to side.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright I'm convinced for sure. Already working on taking it apart and polishing the hulls completely. Appreciate the help