Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pearl thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Been wanting to get into cat sailing( did years ago as kid and what a blast and awesome memories) . At first the getaway seemed to be the logical choice, but the pearl has me intrigued. Little bigger, wings etc. Storage not a issue, will be keeping at sail club (keowee or NC lake) chances are mast up. I'm 200 lbs, 2 boys that are 5 and 9. Oldest would be going some and youngest not so much. Too much boat for a somewhat beginner? could i learn on such a beast and grow into? It's appeal is the wings, bigger( more stable), and looks to be just a good all around upgrade from getaway. Thoughts? Thanks-

Post subject: Re: Pearl thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I doubt you’ll get responses from many with first hand experience on this forum since the Pearl is only available in Europe (although there is currently a used one located in Florida for sale on thebeachcats.com classifieds). The Pearl has always intrigued me as potentially a great all-around cat, essentially a modern version of the Hobie 18 for the 21st century. I would think the Pearl could be considered as one step up in performance and complexity from the Getaway.

If you’re looking for the ultimate in simplicity, durability, family fun and a boat that is tolerant of sailing mistakes, and you’re not terribly concerned with performance, then the Getaway is probably the right choice. If you want a step up in performance and are willing to accept a slightly steeper learning curve both with setting up the boat and something less tolerant of sailing errors, then the Pearl (or a classic Hobie 18) seems like an excellent choice.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

From the looks of the Pearl it seems like a great modern boat! I like the non-skid EVA-foam. Here in Sweden it is marketed as the perfect adventure cat for the weekend. Will fit two adults or the whole family. It is a bit more forgiving than the Tiger.

I am in a somewhat similar situation to you. I just discovered catamarans and I want to learn about sailing together with the kids. I am size XL - 100 kg (220 lbs) and my oldest son is close to that. The younger daughter and son are of course lighter but they are in their teens and growing.

So I wanted a cat that can hold all of us. I ended up buying an old 21SE. It has great capacity, good storage, has wings, is stable and is equipped with an outboard engine which I value a lot. Because the winds on the lake are not steady and since I have zero experience sailing I figure the outboard can always be used as a last resort. The 21SE has a steep learning curve for sure but we like the challenge!

Obviously the Pearl is much more modern, lighter and it looks great but it is also pricey compared to an old 21. The Pearl is hard to find, at least used. A new one is over $20k.

Best of luck in your process.

Hobie Cat 21SE #376

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so far! Been researching all day. I know the getaway better fit initially, but normally what ever past time i start I end up really sinking my teeth into and going 110%. I'm in early 40's, descent shape (or I like to think :D ) and always enjoy the challenge, leaning towards the pearl if learning curve not to difficult and not to overwhelming.. but safety is a concern, don't want to get in over my head right outta the gate. Also don't want to be selling a getaway in 8-10 months to upgrade either :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started out with a Hobie 17 in 1990. Dealer pitched it to me as a good family boat. That dealer is not in business anymore, what a surprise, huh? (The 17 is a solo race boat) Anyway, as my kids grew, we rapidly outgrew it. That being said, when I was alone, it was perfect! Fast, tacked on a dime. Loved it.

Had a variety of boats I was never happy with in the years since.

7 years ago, I bought a Getaway. It's a great family boat. If it had been around in 1990, I would have bought it then. But...it's not fast. I mean, it's not slow, and I've got the spinnaker for a little extra fun, but it doesn't give me the jolt the 17 did. It's like driving an SUV compared to a sports car.

So, don't worry about learning curve. None of these cats are like driving a 660 HP McClaren that can kill you if you mess up, about the worst thing that happens is you capsize. And ALL of them will capsize on occasion. But I single hand the Getaway a lot of the time, and carry a whole mess of people the rest of the time, and am pretty satisfied with it most of the time, but I miss the adrenaline jolt of a performance boat sometimes.

So, were I you, looking for a boat to carry a group of people, but still challenge me, I would look for a Pearl. They are rare in this country. Alternately, the 18SX or Magnum (you want a boat with wings. Trust me. They are a game changer) would suit you, assuming you are able to right it. And there's the 21, which I would dearly love, but the solo righting is an issue for me.

And, dare I say it, there are other brands than Hobie. NACRA comes to mind as a fast boat. But don't worry about learning curve. 80% of it will come within a few months, and mostly it's learning how to tack and gybe, how to land (without looking like a doofus), and how to right after a capsize. These are the same for any catamaran. The rest is fine tuning, and learning how to squeeze the last bit of performance out of your chosen vessel.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be all over a nacra 500, as much as it'd be a great fit,,,fear the no wings would haunt me and I 'd always regret not having them. Choices limited to factory configured cats with wings at this point

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out the H21SC. It is a heavy boat so it can be a beast to move up the beach alone, but if you always sail with someone this isn't a problem. I used to store mine mast up on a trailer and of all the boats in the club mine was always the fastest to launch. With a jib cover and a boom cover you can pretty much leave the boat mast up and ready to sail. When you want to go out just pull the sail covers off and push the boat into the water. The main sail is super easy to raise and lower on the lake, and the jib sail is furling so it is even easier.

The 21 SC is faster than the Getaway and holds more people. I have had 10 adults on my boat on a calmer day. 1-6 is a good number. The wings and front tramp make it spacious. With the included shroud extenders the boat can be righted with 200lbs. The boat is fairly easy to sail solo. The downside to the 21SC is the rigging time if you have to drop the mast. The H21's use a beefy mast section which is heavy enough to necessitate the use of a mast raising system.

The hobie getaway is a great boat for 1-4 people. It rigs fast, sails decently and isn't too heavy. It is a little slower, but it is still plenty of fun. It is also easier to sail, so it won't be long before your kids can leave you on the beach.

The hobie 18 is a fair option if you don't mind a more complicated boat and a wet ride. It is harder to solo and capsizes easier thanks to a more powerful rig. That said, it is fast. With wings it is a drier boat, but rigging time is slightly increased and SX wings can be hard to find.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My thoughts are, this would also be a great boat versatile enough for the Everglades Challenge. The furling gennaker, wing seats, storage hatches, kick up center boards make this boat appear to be a great 18’ addition to the hobie fleet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there a way you can get on different models of boats for test rides? The Pearl May be difficult to find in the US, but it sounds like a great boat.

I sail an 18 and have two boys who I frightened off the boat at a young age, but now that they are 15 and 11 they are showing signs of interest. Probably get a Getaway to acquaint them with sailing, then see where they go after that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Currently, we sail a Tiger and a Getaway, after years of sailing/racing a H18SX and Wave. The Getaway weighs about the same as a Tiger or H18, with much less sail area. IMHO, the Getaway is great for introducing people to sailing, taking your dog out with you or tipping over and using it as a dive platform. That said, the reduced sail plan really impacts the Getaway's performance. On the upside, the plastic hulls don't cause you any concern when you see your kids sailing into the rocky beach at speed. For fun, I added a H16 spinnaker this past summer. The Tiger is far more enjoyable for me, but your mileage may vary. I would not recommend a Tiger as a starter boat. Good luck and enjoy your family time!

https://hobie-fleet2.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a new Phantom Essentiel available in Clearwater , FL. Now this would be my first choice for a modern/ futurist platform foiling catamaran...... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cmd wrote:
I'd be all over a nacra 500, as much as it'd be a great fit,,,fear the no wings would haunt me and I 'd always regret not having them. Choices limited to factory configured cats with wings at this point

Just wanted to add my two cents on this point. I sailed my H18 for two or three years and then jumped on a set of wings when I found a pair near me. Had some trouble fitting them to the boat, so I left them off... and I'm actually at the point where I don't know if I'll ever install them, because I've gotten used to how the boat handles without wings and I feel I can push the boat harder without worrying about "burying" a wing in the waves/water. Sitting on the hull all day does get a little old/sore, but if you spend most of your time on the trapeze, it becomes less of a problem. While wings are certainly something that's nice to have from a comfort perspective, I wouldn't consider them a necessity. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat like a H16 or F18 for my next boat, even knowing that wings are not an option... but that's of course my opinion. As a relatively young & fit individual, I may have different priorities :lol:

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238