Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Water Line
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a curious question for anyone who can itch my tickle...

How does one figure a [u]waterline[/u] (or parallel reference) on a H18 hull? I've looked at many a floating picture, but it's really hard to tell given the rocker profile of the underbelly and crew weight position for/aft.

In the FAQ specs folder of the Hobie 18 thread, there is a profile picture of the boat. Same profile picture in the H18 owners manual. I cut and pasted into a doc and then drew on it...(tried to upload into this thread but couldn't figure it out)...

In two pure profile pictures I could find, the beam pocket seems to reference "level"; it is equal distance to the bottom of the paper or image crop. That said, it looks too 'bow down' to me... (?) it doesn't look right.

I can calculate yaw port to starboard by balances factors such as bow plum-line, rudder gudgeons plum-line, and various laser points along the flange of the hull.
How can I make a guess at waterline or balance fore and aft?

Thoughts?
Thank you folks!

Post subject: Re: Hull Water Line
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:36 am 
Site Admin

The boats never sit "level" in the water due to many factors. The rake of the mast, crew placement / weight. The 18 sails best a bit bow down I think.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

the waterline will vary depending on which side is up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:54 am 
Site Admin

:)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Understand that water lines (or load lines or Plimsoll lines) weren't especially common to sailing ships for many years. It would be more a static line for when the ship was sitting in harbor and needed protection from marine growth. Overall it made little or no difference in calculating sailing. Ships would worry about storing cargo and supplies so that the ship remained in its best position by making it bow heavy, neutral or stern heavy, depending upon the sailing qualities of the boat, but not worrying about the water line.

To establish a static waterline, put the boat into the water on a calm day, with very minimal wave action. Seat two people in the middle of the boat of the minimum boat weight, both port to starboard, and bow to stern.. In other words, your people will be in a position that they'll never sit in while the boat is sailing, but will be lowering the boat in an even fashion. The further off from the center lines your people are, the more of an error you will have.

Walk around the boat with a marker, and every foot or so, place a mark where the water rises to on the hull. That will be your static water line.

To calculate a load or Plimsoll line, add more people to bring the boat up to its maximum weight capacity and sit as close to the center line of the boat as possible.

The math calculations for this involve displacement, Archimedes' principle, weight, and isn't worth the time you'd spend calculating it. I doubt that even Hobie has the exact displacement of its boats. The Coast Guard publishes how to calculate this for its purposes at https://www.uscgboating.org/regulations ... OADING.pdf

Understand that after all this work, the line is meaningless as soon as your shift weight, add sails, or move. Even motorboats don't sail on their waterline. About the only thing a waterline is useful for beyond decoration is to determine where to put bottom paint.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with all of the above posts, that it is largely an exercise in futility. But for the intently curious, I think there are two waterlines relevant to someone trying to define the "waterline" of a Hobie 18. The static waterline would be the waterline that the boat sits at in calm weather when not moving (and probably with no crew onboard). If you were painting a waterline for antifouling purposes (WHY?), this would be the waterline you'd use. The bow sits very high in this condition.

The most relevant waterline, however, would be the intended/ideal waterline underway, for minimal hull resistance. This waterline would run from the midpoint of the bow to the very bottom of the transom, so the transom is just kissing the water and the bow is halfway submerged. This is the "typical" condition the boat was designed to be sailed in, with the very buoyant bows "resisting" the driving force/moment of the sails from trying to "bury" the bows. This keeps the transoms from dragging, and also lengthens the waterline a little bit. You'd also want the windward hull just kissing the water surface as well.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the thoughts folks.
Yes, water line is a relative based upon where weight is placed fore and aft. The notion of a "static" neutral waterline and an efficient "dynamic" waterline make sense.

So I've got another question..
How much does a naked early 80's H18 hull weigh? If I was to hang it on a scale...just one fiberglass hull.

I hesitate to mention exactly what I'm up to... A garage daydream project has found wings while under lockdown. Just the right impetus:)