Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm hoping that someone here has experience with installing a shorter mainsail on a Hobie mast that uses a halyard hook.
90% of my H-18 SX sailing is solo, so in very high winds I want to try reducing sail area, while keeping the sail at the proper 'boom height'. I have H-14, 16, 17, and H-18 SE sails available.

The problem is getting the halyard ring to release from the mast hook, other than by taking the mast down.

I started with the 18 SE main, since that's the most similar to install, using an 18" line from the headboard to the halyard ring.
I got the ring to catch on the hook, but it will not release. It's easy to see why, since the ring will not rotate away from the hook when it's 18" from the headboard, no matter how much the mast is rotated.

What have others done to accommodate a smaller mainsail?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am by no means an expert. I've never attempted anything like this, however I might have an idea.

You could use a bar or tube that connects directly to the ring and head of the main. Have a tight fitting slot (in a bar) or flattened section (tube) on each end with a hole going through it for a bolt on each end, perpendicular to each other with the top slot (ring) going port-starboard and the bottom slot (main head) going fore-aft. No shackles for the sail or the ring, they connect directly to the bar/tube with the bolts. It would be a direct replacement for the twist shackle.

As for the material and size, or tube vs. bar, I'm not sure. You may need to wait for someone else to chime in or use your best judgement. I can say that the diameter will need to be large enough to prevent as much twisting wiggle on the connections as possible. If it works, I don't think the length will matter in terms of effectiveness as long as it doesn't flex in a twisting motion.

Kyrle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Use a low-stretch line for the halyard and add a cleat to the bottom of the mast. Then just cleat off the halyard at the lower height. Not an ideal setup since you will still get some stretch in the halyard, but likely the easiest solution.

I had also considered adding a second, lower, hook to the mast for reefing. But that would probably poke the sail when hoisted to full height.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best thing I ever did on my old SX18 was to upgrade the mainsheet to Robbline.

Then I picked up a nice set of 7:1 mainblocks from my F18 buddy, and that allowed me to sheet out really quickly, but under control.
So when hit with a big puff of wind, there was (almost) never a problem.

Try upgrading your mainsheet to one of the newer style of lines...if you haven't already.
That should give you a huge improvement in control.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie 18's used to have a stupid flopper thingy on the halyard hook. It made it hard for people to hook the halyard. Personally I like the stupid flipper, but I understand why many don't.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobie-18-Halya ... 2835888585

Hooking the halyard is a little tricky with the flipper. Raise the sail to precisely the right height and lower it onto the hook. If you go to far the flipper will flop over preventing the ring from hooking. Back off until you are just below the hook and try again. Releasing the hook is much easier. Simply raise the sail as high as you can and then lower the sail. The flipper will keep the sail from getting hooked.