Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H18 Trapeze rigging
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am relatively new to a world of Hobie Cat sailing. I just bought a 1980 Hobie 18 that has not sailed in quite some time. I've replaced all the lines, and rigged the trapeze lines based on manuals, photos and videos that I found. My friend and I went out the other day and he kept getting tangled in my bungee. It seemed the only way around it on each tack was that if he were to hook on to the trapeze and lean out first then I hook on and lean out. If the helmsman hooks up first, the return bungee seems to get all tangled in the crew. I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with putting the helmsman return bungie further aft? Also, the trap lines from the mast seem to be too long. With the adjuster line shortened all the way I still have to muscle up to get my rear end over the hull coming back aboard. Are these all common issues that are just part of Hobie sailing, or am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: H18 Trapeze rigging
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless its very windy, the crew can go out in front of the shroud (and the skipper behind the shroud) to avoid tangling the bungee. After they’re out, they can step back and will be under the skipper’s bungee. The fairlead for the skipper’s trap can be moved aft, but then it will be more prone to tangling the tiller extension.

Regarding trap height, it is normal to have to lift yourself up to get back in the boat.

sm

Post subject: Re: H18 Trapeze rigging
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome, thank you!