Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm wanting to use a regular 18 sail on my 18sx, primarily to raise the boom for the kids and their safety. Any thoughts or advice on installing a new OEM mount/bracket just higher up on mast? Has anyone done this before?

Last edited by cmd on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You would likely need to add a new cutout higher up in the mast track to allow the sail to be fed into the track (the current cutout would be below the new gooseneck). Also the mast rotator would need to be relocated higher up the mast, so you would have to drill a hole in the mast for that. And you will either need to add a pigtail between the top boom block and the boom or add about 10’ of mainsheet length to account for the higher boom.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

By having 'less' sail lower down and 'more' sail higher up, I wonder if this might affect the righting moment?

Solid control of your mainsheet seems to be a more practical solution.
At worst, consider slitting some pool noodles and attach them to the underside of the boom with velcro strips or cable ties....
Lucky you don't sail a H16 or H17.....where there is far less 'room' under the boom.

keep safe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think having a greater percentage of the sail area up high is going to make the boat more tippy/pitchy. If only sailing in light/medium wind it probably won’t be an issue though.

Another even more simple solution would be to rake the mast more upright. The boat may not handle great like this, but it will raise the boom somewhat.

Honestly, as John pointed out, the boom on the H18 is pretty high to begin with as compared to other boats. I’ve sailed 18’s for several decades and never really found the boom to be an issue. You get used to it and eventually won’t even think about it. When sailing with my young kids, I usually tell them to lay down on the tramp when tacking or jibing. They can also just sit up near the front crossbar and the danger is greatly reduced. Generally if they’re sitting in front of the shroud, the boom can’t even reach them. Or have them switch sides before starting the maneuver.

A flying jibe is the biggest risk and that is really dependent on how much the skipper is paying attention. But you really shouldn’t be sailing dead downwind on a cat anyway.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Or sell it, and go boomless like a Hobie Getaway :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I may just roll the dice and pick up a used 18 sail. Rig it in the yard and see if there are any red flags. My 2 reasons are 18 sails are so much easier to come by,plus if it pulls the boom up the extra bit due to longer SX mast thats a win( 3 kiddos under 10 ). I'm sure at some point soon though I'll pull the trigger on a new custom sail from Chip or slo canvas. Both have said they've actually made custom sails for a 18 to go boomless. I've spent a lot of time researching and have had zero luck if it's actually possible, pro's con's etc.. I'm still on the fence about square top or not too. All of my sailing is on smaller lakes, zero concerns about racing and having Hobie spec'd rig..all leisure and fun with bambinos :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have the SX wings on the boat? I also have 3 young kids and the wings provide so much more space for kids to hang out. I haven’t had any issues with the boom myself. But also wind conditions and experience make a huge difference also. Good luck and enjoy the time on the water with your kids.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As others have mentioned, H18 booms aren't too bad. Just don't sail dead downwind where unexpected jibes can happen. Placing the little crew forward of the shrouds keeps them clear of the boom and off of the jib sheets. Having wings helps a lot.

Reasons to get a squaretop: Better performance in all winds, better depowering in high winds.
Reasons not to get a squaretop: Class rules prohibit it, slightly harder to roll up.

Squaretop sails are not about getting more sail area. They are about reshaping the sail so the top can twist off in a gust, or be held in by a taut mainsheet. The extra area up top is a nice perk.