Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for the input! SELF TACKING SYSTEM!!! How would i do that? it sounds like a great idea! where would I even start? What a kit? Where do you find the "stuff" to do it. I would sure appreciate some enlightenment. Thank you. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject: reply to h18sailaway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I lookforward to seeing you out at whiskeytown this year,I need another h18 to run around the lake with.Mike Strayle of whiskeytown sailing is a wealth of knowledge ,he is commadore of the club and used to be a hobie dealer for years.If you want to get out on the lake shoot me a message.Shawn h18 #8211 [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi guys, I own twn boats, a H-18mag and a _-19mx ( I won't post the brand name here, it seems impolite) w/smythe sails, Ok.

A couple of comments, first if you want to one-design race at HCA events the sq top is out. These races are the fastest and best way to improve your sailing skills. Currently "Hobie Factory" sails are of excellent quality. Note that I would like to see a vertical cut designed class legal sail but that is a discusion for another thread. Pentex: It is a great sail material, but .... it has several issues. I like it for the mainsail but for the jib I preferr "racing dacron" especially a furling jib, it wiil last longer. Pentex is faster initially but deteriorates faster from flogging. One morning you have a jib, in the afternoon you have a "paint tarp". It is amazing how fast it happens!!! And the (damn) material "shimmers" in the sunlight!!! I can't hide, in the distance races my buddies can keep track of me !!!! HAaaaaaa ....... ( those old double plum sails just faaa ...ade away in the distance )

Anyway, my suggestion would be buy a new set of "factory sails" first .... then find a used all-aluminum mast and buy a sq top mainsail for that rig. Remember each sail has a different luff curve designed into it requiring slightly different mast tuning. This solution will take a little more time and $$$ but will allow you to race HCA events to improve your skills quickly and then race open/portsmouth with a "souped up" H-18.

.... Now I do have that extra all-aluminum mast in the back yard ???? ..... where did you say you get those sq top sails ... Whirlpool or something like that????

Keep me posted I am interested in your progress.

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11