Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all. I have my order in and expecting both the 10.5' and 12' units in within the next month (I am in Panama). Currently I am working on a rack design for my 24' Panga for transport of these units and cannot find any mention of the thickness of either the 10.5 or the 12. I have also been looking at all of the SUP racks on line. We have the length and width of both units but does anyone know if they are the same thickness ( at the thickest point ) as a standard SUP or is it slightly different?

I know this sounds like a crazy question, but I would like to have these transport racks built before they arrive. With all of the great information provided so far on this Forum, I thought that I would check here first. Anybody that has ridden in or owns a Panaga knows that space is limited (especially width). Thanks once again in advance for all our your kind assistance. PT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

About 6" thick. There is some rocker added...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
About 6" thick. There is some rocker added...

What do you mean by "some rocker added"

Will this rack scratch or scuff the delicate epoxy finish?

https://www.storeyourboard.com/sup-rack ... dleboards/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 am 
Site Admin

That is the thickness of the whole board and the shape is not flat from front to back... Rocker is a curve.

You would use webbing straps to hold down. Webbing does not scratch the surface, but adding a soft towel under the strap can make sure! Better in the board bag.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
That is the thickness of the whole board and the shape is not flat from front to back... Rocker is a curve.

You would use webbing straps to hold down. Webbing does not scratch the surface, but adding a soft towel under the strap can make sure! Better in the board bag.

I assume the bags are vented to prevent moisture --> mold? We dry off the boards, but it's not possible to get them 100% dry. Plus I'm concerned moisture might be a problem getting in the seams in the gray padding. It would be a much better design if that gray padding was all ONE piece. Some of the seams are tight, but others fit together poorly and gap open.

If it rains or gets spray, a towel will hold moister against the board. Will that hurt it?

We do have a board bag for all 3 of our Hobie Eclipses. We need a really great system to store the boards on the dock without them taking up so much space, in their bags as you suggest. and LOCKED. Do you have any suggestions and pictures of a good system? Then we could have space to put a dock box to store the drives, handlebars, & fins + the bags when we are using the boards. How wide is the widest part of the handlebars?

I found a rack I like since most in my family cannot pick up a board and are often alone: https://www.storeyourboard.com/paddlebo ... lso_bought -- would be great if we only had Eclipses. The problem is trying to keep our dock accessible to the jet ski, boat, kayaks, and Eclipses. Plus the neighbors have their boat on the other side of our dock finger.

I've been strapping 2 of the Hobies flat on the dock, but one takes up most of the dock finger and the other one takes up the length of the walkboard and more than half of its width. We have no good way to lock them up, so we're breaking our backs carrying them up the steps - narrow so they have to be on edge & the wheels don't work there...

We have lots of large waves hitting the dock from wake boats setting the large waves for "surfers" behind them, so we need something the boards won't bang back and forth in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Those racks would work. Just a loose cover to limit UV would be needed. No need for the padded covers if not being transported.

These racks would hold them out of the water so far better for them than in the water as noted previously. The concern is a constant submersion in water.

Withs drives removed, you could pass a cable lock through the hulls for security.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)