Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, this is my first post to forum.

I purchased a 2016 Hobie Mirage Oasis Tandem yesterday from Austin Canoe and Kayak (ACK) in Houston. I was actually on my way to purchase a used Oasis from a craigslist seller. It was priced at $2999.00 and I got them down to $2150.00 so I felt pretty good about it.

While on the way I called ACK to ask a few question about what to look for on the used unit. They were gracious and answered my question. I did tell them I purchased 2 ocean kayaks last year from them at demo days which is going on right now. I was shocked when they offered me a 2016 model for $2893.61 total walkout and the price included a heavy duty scupper cart. That was less than $750 more for a new unit and included a warranty, all the other upgrades and that it would be trouble free, than the used model AND the seller said he could not find the serial number to know for sure what year model but thought it was a 2006 as he purchased it second hand in 2010.

That was enough for me to turn the truck around and head to south Houston (I live 90 miles east of Houston) as I was headed north Houston. I purchased the new unit and glad I did. I really wanted the new Vantage seating. Ironically both the used and new were red in color which is what I really wanted. Olive was very close second. ACK only had two left and the other was yellow and it just reminded me of a big banana.The only thing that would have made the deal perfect is if it would have had the mirage 180 on it. However, I think I will wait a year or two and let them get the bugs out of the new system and then purchase one unit for the tandem. I do not see why both would need reverse.

My next post will be some specific questions about the Oasis that I hope will be answered.
Thank you and glad to be here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How's the new boat ? Good choice on the new one. BTW the serial number on the back of the old boat (and any other boat for that matter) has the year it was made. The last two digits are the year. And that's for any boat, kayak or power boat, big or small.

Good choice on the Oasis. We had a Outfitter. I like the Oasis much better. We have two Oasis's 2011 and 2012. I'm thinking of up grading to a new one with the CT seats. How is it's stability being a little higher ?

2012 Oasis
2015 Oasis
2015 Pro Angler
2014 TI