Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would love any tips on how to increase my speed on my Mirage Eclipse. I am in good shape as I run a lot and never really get tired as I pedal, I do about 17-21 minutes for a mile as far as I can guess. I paddle to a desination 2-2.5 miles away, over water that is choppy or flat depending. I seem to go fastest when I am on the back of the pedal, with the front ball of my foot on the pedal and almost on my tiptoes.
Would Adding/Decreasing fin resistance do anything?

Part of me is tempted to add some area/length to the pedals to get more water moving!

Any suggestions or advice? THanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Adding a comment to see if someone replies. If these are anything like the movement of an exercise elliptical, for me it was the same foot positions.
On the exercise elliptical, I found strength was best with the balls of my feet on the ends of the foot pedal, my heel hanging over the end of the pedal.
I am not the runner that you are, but when I do run, it is in a Barefoot style, heels never striking the road.
anyway, just seeing if anyone replies to your post...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a 10 and a 12 and compared to SUP board or even Kayaks they are super fast. My wife goes 10 miles some weekends.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

IkoIko wrote:
Adding a comment to see if someone replies. If these are anything like the movement of an exercise elliptical, for me it was the same foot positions.
On the exercise elliptical, I found strength was best with the balls of my feet on the ends of the foot pedal, my heel hanging over the end of the pedal.
I am not the runner that you are, but when I do run, it is in a Barefoot style, heels never striking the road.
anyway, just seeing if anyone replies to your post...

--Having spent waaayyyy too much time on eclipical machines (Planet fitness) - agree with above. tippy toes on the edge of the foot pedal is best workout for me.
-- On the Eclipse, I have played around with foot positions - I think I am going faster with the feet forward, using more leg muscles, as opposed to lower legs as I found with the feet at the back. but small adjustments with the feet really matter for me and I continue to experiment! Enjoy!