Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Compass Duo which I will be using with a new Yakima Easy Rider trailer. I would like to use the trailer for transport and storage, and it is much easier to load the kayak hull down since I am the only person over 10 years old in the family. I have the compass duo cradles, which seem to fit best around 74 inches or so apart. My issue with the trailer is that the lower crossmembers after 78 inches apart, which seems like that is a bit far to try to support the weight evenly.

I have crossbars on the upper level of the trailer that have a maximum spread of 60 inches.

So at this point, I can mount the cradles either 60 or 78 inches apart--have either of these distances been uses the the cradles safely. Personally I would think having the cradles at the 1/3 and 2/3 distance would make the most sense, and that would be a spread of around 54 inches about center.

I have a yakima big catch also, but don't view that as being good for upright storage.

What do others use for the crossbar spread for a compass duo, and do you store it upright with cradles?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the post below Matt affirms best spacing at 1/3 hull length. For your Duo that would be 54" as you concluded.
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=64841

But best fit may not be at exactly 54". In this video Howie shows how to find the correct spacing and contact locations.
https://youtu.be/KrX9tNSKSLo

Peter